Hi everyone,

I've just opened my kiln from a bisque fire. To check for temp variations I placed cones on the top shelf and the bottom shelf. It's a small electric kiln and I only had three shelves firing. The bottom shelf was densely packed with mugs, middle more mugs but not so tightly packed and the top had only 3 items on it.

I fire my stoneware to cone 07. There are no stock of 06 cones available so I used 07 and 08.

Bottom shelf cones did not move at all. Cone 07 on top shelf fired to temperature cone 08 did not move.

My question is has the bottom shelf been fired enough and what do I need to check if it hasn't (elements or just packing).

Thanks for your help

Andrea

You might share a picture of the cones. The "Cone 07 on top shelf fired to temperature cone 08 did not move" says something isn't exactly right -- 08 is a lower cone than 07. (The 0 is like a negative sign.)

Are you programming in a firing temperature?

Also consider adding in a soak. I personally bisque to 1000°C with a 15 minute hold.

I also like to load the weird-middle-height stuff on the bottom and pack more into the top layers. This is easier for me to do because I am loading student work (has to be fired!) with my own (can wait till the next one!)

---

The variations in firings don't matter much in the bisque. A lower temperature will absorb a little more glaze a little faster. Rinsing/wetting the ware helps even out these differences.

After posting initially I have realized my error in posting the 07 as 08. 

Pics of cones

Top shelf

post-65376-0-97066500-1468038569_thumb.jpg

Bottom shelf

post-65376-0-27031800-1468038590_thumb.jpg

I don't have a controller. It's an old second hand kiln. The controller is me! lol

post-65376-0-97066500-1468038569_thumb.jpg

post-65376-0-27031800-1468038590_thumb.jpg

all things considered that is not to bad temp between top and bottom on a manual kiln.

Load the kiln more evenly as you said the bottom was stuffed and top was loose.

this is his board name

neilestrick

Archived