Two Elements Out....help!

jmpeden

My L & L has been firing very slowly and stopping with an error message when glazing. I checked all my elements and they were glowing an dseemed fine. I changed all of my thermocouples because i bought the kiln used and they seemed a little old. I loaded the kiln and started firing and noticed that i have Two elements in a row rhat are hot firing at all. Im new to all this and my question is, could i have pulled a wire loose in my element wiring while i had the box open fixing thermocouples?

One time I pulled the little clips loose when I replaced thermocouples.   Just go back and make sure everything is connected. And I also discovered that if you don't put the thermocouple in right side up, it  affects performance.   I had a relay go bad one time and that was an easy fix.  When that happened, one section would not heat up.  If you did not get a manual with your kiln, go online to hotkilns.com  They really have a lot of diagnostic information on there.  What L&L do you have?  How many firings does it have on it?

Roberta

If both elements are in the same ring, then you probably have a dead relay. There is no right side up or upside down in thermocouples. You just have to make sure you have the wires connected properly.

But don't the new thermocouples have one of the prongs with a red mark on it so it is matched with the red wire?? 

r.

If both elements are in the same ring, then you probably have a dead relay. There is no right side up or upside down in thermocouples. You just have to make sure you have the wires connected properly.

But don't the new thermocouples have one of the prongs with a red mark on it so it is matched with the red wire?? 

r.

Yes, exactly. But it doesn't matter which direction it's facing as long as all the connections are correct. Just make sure red is negative and yellow is positive. If your thermocouple doesn't have a red mark for some reason, you can identify the negative (red) side because it is magnetic.

Archived