my LARGE coffee mugs from yesterday

Only been throwing for a year but in that time I think I have only made two mugs and it was way back at the beginning. Yesterday I decided to play around some and throw more and big ones. I think they turned out pretty good, I really like the ones with the fat base, I think they will be very comfortable to hold. I made a few different ones but once I threw one with the big base I kept doing it. I wasnt trying to make them similiar, I was playing around with different looks. I dont know where but I know I have seen coffee mugs with the big base like that or maybe it just reminds me of something.

I am very happy with them myself but I dont mind constructive criticism at all.

post-6939-131844621674_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131844621674_thumb.jpg

The best critique you will get will be your personal one when you use them ... are they well balanced when full, are they easy to drink from ... easy to stir ... easy to clean? The shapes with the long necks look like the coffee will stream down the neck of the mug a little too quickly but you won't know til you try them.

I love the shapes. Your handles do tend to be heavy, although some of these look pretty proportional. How are you making your handles?

I pull them. Yea I do seem to lean towards larger handles! Since I started I have really tried to stay away from things like mugs because I do hate pulling and attaching handles but over the next few weeks I think that is something I am really going to concentrate on.

The cups are very hearty, they remind me of beer steins.

they are very big but I hate pouring a small cup of coffe just to turn around and run back downstairs for more before getting settled in for whatever. I will keep one and the rest will be given to friends and family that will appreciate the size.

Funny you mention beer stines, a friend just asked me to make him some so that will be soon!

Only been throwing for a year but in that time I think I have only made two mugs and it was way back at the beginning. Yesterday I decided to play around some and throw more and big ones. I think they turned out pretty good, I really like the ones with the fat base, I think they will be very comfortable to hold. I made a few different ones but once I threw one with the big base I kept doing it. I wasnt trying to make them similiar, I was playing around with different looks. I dont know where but I know I have seen coffee mugs with the big base like that or maybe it just reminds me of something.

I love big mugs too! Your shapes are very unique! The mugs would also look really nice if the top of the handle was attached a little lower on the neck, like an inch or so below the rim?

Have you tried other ways of making handles? Lately I've experimented some and found I enjoy rolling out clay, then slightly flattening with a textured roller, cut and apply. It's a toltally different look from pulled.

I have only pulled handles.. I will have to give that a try, would love to see a pic of one of your handles!

I love big mugs too! Your shapes are very unique! The mugs would also look really nice if the top of the handle was attached a little lower on the neck, like an inch or so below the rim?

thank you for the suggestion! I will have to give that a try on my next set of mugs, experiment with it being lower.

Have you tried other ways of making handles? Lately I've experimented some and found I enjoy rolling out clay, then slightly flattening with a textured roller, cut and apply. It's a toltally different look from pulled.

When you texture a coil in this manner, try flopping it on the table slightly - diagonally to the table along the the length of the coil-this will flatten the inside of the handle and stretch/soften the decoration and add a little more length to the handle.

When you texture a coil in this manner, try flopping it on the table slightly - diagonally to the table along the the length of the coil-this will flatten the inside of the handle and stretch/soften the decoration and add a little more length to the handle.

I cant wait to try that! thank you

Great advice. Once fired and glazed and shrinkage occurs, then you can test them out.

The best critique you will get will be your personal one when you use them ... are they well balanced when full, are they easy to drink from ... easy to stir ... easy to clean? The shapes with the long necks look like the coffee will stream down the neck of the mug a little too quickly but you won't know til you try them.

Mugs are one of my favorite things to make, I agree with the size though, nothing is worse than turning back around to fill up your mug! Chris said it though, once you get them fired and glazed you can see how they function, a good looking mug isn't always a working mug. I make sure I can clean it easily, and that even guys can get most of their fingers in the handle comfortably. The rim is also important, how thick it is and if the lip curves (many people prefer that). I do a slab like handle because I am awful at pulling, but they have evolved and I am happy with where they are at now. I am not a fan of the round handle because I don't think it would be comfy to hold onto. Also, huge mugs are great but conisder the weight of that mug when full!! Most importantly keep on trying, and look at lots of mugs and think about what you enjoy in a mug. And always keep a few of your beginner mugs around, it's neat to see the progression rolleyes.gif

I like your mugs Buckeye. Make sure to let us know how you like them after you use them. They would be good tea or water mugs for me. Little coffee mugs work better for me because I don't like it when it gets cold. I throw the handle off the mug because I hate making the handles and then waiting for them to be dry enough to attach. The round handle shape is nice. If I were buying the mug I'd be a little concerned that the handle is so big and sticks out just far enough that I'd probably hit it and knock it over. For a klutz I'm doing okay at throwing pots. :P You're really good for only doing it a year! Every time I throw I make at least a couple of mugs just to practice handles.

I like your mugs Buckeye. Make sure to let us know how you like them after you use them. They would be good tea or water mugs for me. Little coffee mugs work better for me because I don't like it when it gets cold. I throw the handle off the mug because I hate making the handles and then waiting for them to be dry enough to attach. The round handle shape is nice. If I were buying the mug I'd be a little concerned that the handle is so big and sticks out just far enough that I'd probably hit it and knock it over. For a klutz I'm doing okay at throwing pots. tongue.gif You're really good for only doing it a year! Every time I throw I make at least a couple of mugs just to practice handles.

I am a klutz also! Thats what gave me the inspiration for the fat bottom.. hopefully I cant knock it over as easy!

Archived