Cutlery Marking At Cone 6 Ox

Interesting link and it goes along the same lines that I was talking about.

The spirit of this recipe is not to present the perfect matte, it is to demonstrate about how Al2O3:SiO2 chemistry balance in a glaze recipe can be changed to adjust the degree of matteness of a glaze

I also found this image on digital fire. If you ignore the far right test the first three have the exact same flux chemistry but varying silica alumina ratios. I think the third which has a 6:1 ratio or what I would call the gloss ratio has the specular reflections that for me are not a matte glaze. He is calling it a matte and also the far right glaze that has specular reflections and a similar 6:1 ratio.

tutvoxujon.jpg

I think it is confusing to call these micro-crystal gloss glazes matte. Maybe it is just me who feels this way. They do scatter light a little different but they still have the specular reflections.

If you kept lowering the Si:Al ratio you would go back to an overloaded matte glaze but with too much alumina while keeping the flux the same. It is interesting to do a test with as many different materials as you can and hit their chemistry between limit formulas. You come out with 100 different gloss recipes and no mattes.

Well I did a lot of testing last night in a kiln load, and I have a satin that I am happy with. It isn't 100% matte, more like a semi matte or satin I guess. However the surface is amazing. I am going to do some vinegar test with it tonight, but it resisted me dragging a point over it with no marks. This is the best result I have had in a long time. The slow cooling definitely helped as I had this glaze before without a slow cool and it marked slightly, it was the one I mentioned in the original post. 

Archived