Couple Of Ash Questions

Spent the afternoon sieving ash from my son's woodstove through a 40 mesh glaze screen.  What is the typical screen you use for ash . . . a flour sifter? screen door/window screen?

Has anyone tried Greasweep as a source of rice hull ash for nuka glazes?  Any other domestic sources available?

Guest JBaymore

I use a vibrating sieve (hanging frame, motor with oscillating off center weight) for the first screening with window screening for that one.  Then a Talisman 40 m rotary sieve for second sieving.  Then 80 mesh too for some glazes.  Occasionally a ball mill for ultra fine.

I import (or bring back) rice husk ash from Japan.   It is a black carbonaceous ash.  I am working on developing a local US source for potters.  If/when that pans out... I'll get the word out.

A lot of the sweeping compounds have additives that cause issues. 

best,

..................john

I use a vibrating sieve (hanging frame, motor with oscillating off center weight) for the first screening with window screening for that one.  Then a Talisman 40 m rotary sieve for second sieving.  Then 80 mesh too for some glazes.  Occasionally a ball mill for ultra fine.

I import (or bring back) rice husk ash from Japan.   It is a black carbonaceous ash.  I am working on developing a local US source for potters.  If/when that pans out... I'll get the word out.

A lot of the sweeping compounds have additives that cause issues. 

best,

..................john

You have mentioned that the rice hull ash is burned in a way that leaves the ash carbonatious. Is it burned in a reduced environment. I' d love to try to replicate the method.

Jed

Guest JBaymore

Burned in large SMOKING piles in the field.... usually with a piece of metal stove pipe inserted in the center of the stack to get some airflow/draft.  The piles smolder for a long time.  Inside gets literally red hot.  The stuff the potters like is the carbonaceous ash... not fully burned.  Adjusting the pile keeps it from burning too much.

The commercial products like the sweeping compounds are typically well burnt at higher temperatures...... white or light grey.

http://www.ari-edu.org/en/2013/01/10/english-what-is-development/jil-burning-rice-husk/

best,

.................john

Guest JBaymore

Greasweep is from Oregon and is supposed to be 100 natural, no additives. Cost of shipping is near the cost of a bucket full . . . no east coast distributors.

I'm testing that.

best,

.............john

I get it.  I brought back a bucket of ash from the stove in our little cabin in the woods, intending to make some experiments.  When I was a young potter,  I loved ash glazes, and made a lot of them, with variable results.  There is something almost irresistable about a nice ash glaze-- you are hooking into the great randomness of the natural world.

And I have to admit that ash glazers like Phil Rogers are among my favorite contemporary potters.

Guest JBaymore

Unpredictable, labour intensive to process/make, and dirty.

That said, for whatever reason, I really like using real ash.

Me too Tyler.

Tyler has the idea pretty well covered...... it is totally absurd..... and we still do it.  It also slightly fits the idea of doing wood firing....particular short duration kilns (not much ash effects).  Crazy... and we still do it.

I will say that my "fake" nuka recipe and my real nuka side by side... there is a discernible difference.  Only to a seriously obsessed person though. 

Brother Thomas did some great stuff with ash glazes.

best,

.................john

I will say that my "fake" nuka recipe and my real nuka side by side... there is a discernible difference.  Only to a seriously obsessed person though. 

John, could you tell us your thinking on using your fake nuka-- what kind of stuff calls for it, or calls for it louder than the real nuka?

Guest JBaymore

Simply put, the "real" nuka typically only goes on my 'higher end' pieces.  $400 (+ up) Chawan and the like.  The glaze is labor intensive to make (two different ash sources... one washed), and the currently imported nuka-bai (rice husk ash) is a bit expensive.  To produce it in the volume that I'd need for all or the work that I use "nuka" glaze on......... too much work and would impact price points. 

Example.... If I am making stuff like say more "production oriented" dinner plates....... fake nuka is just fine 99% of the time. 

And by the term "fake", really it just means that it is not made in the "traditional way".  Chemically... it is very close to the same (but not exact... since ash glazes are SO complex).  Particle distribution in the batch slurry is the place that the real nuka and the fake nuka part company...... and that DOES have an impact on the way the glaze melts........ and hence some of the "look". 

Molecular formulas AND raw materials sourcing need to be looked at in "glaze chemistry".  Both have potential impacts. 

best,

.................john

John are you familiar with these rice hulls in large white bags sold as soil amendment  in garden centers. Used to mulch plants. They are white rice hulls for sure and very light. we buy a tac every 5 years so cover sprinting garden seeds?

Are these the same hulls you think you are using? I can send you some if you want.just Pm your address and hulls away.

Mark

Guest JBaymore

Mark,

Thanks for the offer!!!!!  Much appreciated. 

Unfortunately it takes a massive amount of rice husks to make a small amount of ash.  And burning them to get the grey-black ash is a very smoky business........ the neighbors would not like that ;) .

The unburned hulls themselves are often used in making wadding for the wood kiln (mixed with refractory clays),... and also for simply spreading between/under pieces as sort of like the way we often sprinkle alumina hydrate powder in firings.

I THINK I can get them at Agway here in NH.  Haven't checked in a long time.  I'll let you know via PM if I'd like to try some of that from you. 

Even if I don't, THANK YOU for the very kind offer!!!!!!!!!

best,

................john

Archived