Using Bonedry Carved Piece As Texture?

I searched old posts but couldn't find an answer to this.  I used a couple of different sized elephant ear leaves to press texture into a slab, did some additional carving to get texture deep enough and cleaned up the edges.  They have been sandwiched between drywall drying for weeks and are completely flat.  If I bisque'd these right now I have great molds for future platters.

What I want to do is roll a fresh slab over the bonedry slab so that I get both positive and negative molds that are the same size to bisque and that could be used to create texture on the front and back of a slab at the same time.

I know that greenware is very fragile but since these are flat and supported fully by the drywall I think that will be less of an issue.  But is the fresh clay slab going to stick to the bonedry slab?  Should I put something like plastic over the bonedry?  Or maybe dust with cornstarch? 

Clay is ^6 stoneware.

i see your point about wanting the front and back to be the same size but it is already too late.  bone dry clay has shrunk a large portion of the total shrinkage you can expect from your clay.  don't risk this, wait until the pieces you have are bisqued and roll it out then.  the shrinkage will not matter since you plan to shape the clay into a leaf when you work with the mold later.  any difference should be minor.

Getting moisture back into the dry slab would be an issue, ie from the fresh piece you are rolling onto it.

I haven't done this but think supporting the dry slab on a piece of supported foam would be more forgiving than just resting it on the drywall.

Perhaps you could smear the dry slab  with Vaseline this would prevent moisture transfer and sticking.

Haven't done this just thinking at the keyboard.

i see your point about wanting the front and back to be the same size but it is already too late.  bone dry clay has shrunk a large portion of the total shrinkage you can expect from your clay.  don't risk this, wait until the pieces you have are bisqued and roll it out then.  the shrinkage will not matter since you plan to shape the clay into a leaf when you work with the mold later.  any difference should be minor.

Thanks oldlady ... I always think of shrinkage occurring just from the firing but forgot about from wet to bonedry.  Should have asked this question weeks ago!

Getting moisture back into the dry slab would be an issue, ie from the fresh piece you are rolling onto it.

I haven't done this but think supporting the dry slab on a piece of supported foam would be more forgiving than just resting it on the drywall.

Perhaps you could smear the dry slab  with Vaseline this would prevent moisture transfer and sticking.

Haven't done this just thinking at the keyboard.

Babs ... I considered using wax resist but was afraid it might fill up the texture too much to get a good impression.  Thanks for the vaseline suggestion.

Archived