Equad Vs Regular Elements?

RogueArtist

Hello everyone,

I've been shopping around for kilns and think I've finally settled on an L&L E23.

My question is, are the eQuad elements worth it? Do they really fire significantly better/last longer than regular elements? Does anyone have any experience with them? How hard are they to replace?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

All L&L elements are among the simplest to replace. The process for changing them is the same whether they are the standard elements or Quad. As for whether or not the quad elements are worth the money I can't definitively say from experience. I personally have not seen enough of them in use for a long enough time to know from experience, however they've been in use on their crystalline kilns for several years and have achieved up to 130 firings at cone 10. That's about double what we expect from standard elements. Even if you break even over the long haul, the benefit comes in the fact that you won't be changing the elements as often. I tell my customers that if they have the money to pay for it, then go for it. In the long run at the very worst you'll come out even, but most likely you'll come out ahead.

You also have a couple of options available with quad elements. You can get the standard Easy Fire E23T-3 with the quad element upgrade, or you can get the eQuad Pro model which has the quad elements and more power. Personally, I don't think more power is generally necessary in an E23T, however if you plan to work it hard with loads of tiles or lots of cone 10 firings, then it might be worth it, in which case the quad elements will also be a good thing.

If you haven't chosen a seller yet, I'd be happy to provide you with a quote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have 2 L& L kilns.  JD236 and Equad 2927(Newer and have not changed elements.    

I have changed the elements in my JD236 2 times and it is not difficult.   Although Im not ready to change them in my EQuad, I wondered if anyone has replaced them before.   There is a bend in the element that has to be made when stretching them.  (they go around the kiln and then bend and wrap back around.   I have found stretching the elements a bit difficult to get even spacing in the stretch.   am wondering also having to do the bend in the element will be difficult.  I have the thicker elements.  Love the kiln thus far.     I only fire it to cone 6.

It would be great if the elements came pre stretched to the length required. They cost enough, you'd think they would come ready to replace. 

Tonya

Stretching the elements is not as difficult as most people make it out to be. You don't have to stretch the entire element all at once. Just stretch as wide a section as you can do holding it in your hands. Slight variations in coil spacing won't hurt anything. 2 quick stretches per wrap and it'll be goo to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 L&L E Quad's.    Love the stronger element.   Cuts changing elements way way down.  I would buy another one if I ever need.   Only issue is with the lid ...until someone told me to "prop" the lid up with concrete blocks.  Somewhere in the forums I posted pictures of this.

Recommend it. 

I bought both of them from Neil.  I like to know that my purchase is going to support a forum poster .... and a small operation, that is supporting someone full time in clay and their family.

I like the himis along with the quads on my 409

They made a song about it she's real fine my 409

Nothing can catch her she's real fine my 409

It may have said qusatraction burining up the pressure plate smoking down the track she's so fine my 409

Later in Japan they made the improved quadzillia films

Larger electric power lines are needed to keep this beast happy

You may need a specialized electrician to work on this animal as his power needs are large

Archived