Blank Ring

So, my Fred has a blank ring to create extra space inside his firing chamber. For those of you who might not know, people who work in temperatures of ^1 and cooler can do this, but any hotter will screw up your firing pretty bad. But anyway, I am seriously considering taking mine out.

Last night, at 3:00am, I went into the garage to check on Fred's medium cycle. He'd been on medium for six hours (I fire very slowly), so I figured he'd be nice and toasty. Well...on the lower and middle levels, he was. The top was pretty dark, and I was raging mad. You see, sometimes, that blank ring won't give power to the upper ring (it's sandwiched underneath), and it's really aggravating. I adjusted the stupid red box plug thing (technical term) and got power up to the top, but it cost me another three hours in firing time to have the top catch up.

Have any of you ever had this trouble? :(

The interbox plugs are kinda junk. Skutt, and others, stopped using them years ago because they are a weak link in the system. The best thing to do in your situation is to turn on the top ring only when you first start it up, to make sure it's getting power. You can usually hear it buzzing when you turn it on, but if not you can just wait a couple minutes and make sure it's giving off heat.

Yes! He totally buzzes when I turn on his top ring. Thing is, though, as he heats up, the buzzing sound gradually just stops. Not sure why... At first, that worried me, thinking the top ring had no power, but the elements were glowing, so I shrugged it off. And since Fred was buzzing when I flipped his top switch to "low," I just sorta whistled and walked away for a few hours, not thinking anything of it.

I guess the moral of the story is that I need to ditch that blank ring. It's causing me too much heartburn, and I'm honestly not making a ton of pottery anymore, so the extra space is just a bother. I don't even know if I could sell the dang thing because my kiln is an old fart...

Archived