A visit to Seagrove NC potters

I am planning a visit to Seagrove early next month and, of course, will visit a lot of potters studios. I am concerned about the proper etiquette as to whether I should buy one of their pieces or not. I know this is their profession and expenses are high, but I really don't have a need for a bunch of pottery items here. I know that I am always happy to have folks visit my shop (studio), and I will sell them a piece if they find something, but I just enjoy talking about the process of producing pottery. What is your feeling about this?

I am planning a visit to Seagrove early next month and, of course, will visit a lot of potters studios. I am concerned about the proper etiquette as to whether I should buy one of their pieces or not. I know this is their profession and expenses are high, but I really don't have a need for a bunch of pottery items here. I know that I am always happy to have folks visit my shop (studio), and I will sell them a piece if they find something, but I just enjoy talking about the process of producing pottery. What is your feeling about this?

My daughter and I share a studio in an artists' community housed in an ex cotton mill in Lancashire. We have open studio events throughout the year and, although it's always very gratifying to sell work (sort of the point of the days really), we both enjoy talking about our work, swapping ideas and hearing opinions of visitors and, more often than not, we're rewarded with a "thank you" and some nice comments rather than a sale and we honestly don't mind. The same goes for the art-in-the-park events we attend - the only reason we take a stall is to sell our pieces, but we certainly don't expect to sell to everyone who comes and shows an interest in us!

Enjoy your trip - you might even find something you can't live without!

Christine

I live fairly close to Seagrove and occasionally take a day to visit various studios. Although I usually find something I just have to bring home, I have never felt pressure from a potter to buy. No way can you visit all the studios in a day so you might want to make the pottery museum your first stop. You can get information there on various potters and their style so you can select those that appeal to you most to visit.

I agree with Brenda. The local potters are so gracious and truly enjoy company. If someone is crazy busy, you will be able to judge in the moment. I know you will find open doors and welcoming artists. It is a wonderful experience....share photos or your adventures (and possibly purchases).

Thanks everybody for the comments. I feel better now about visiting some of the potters. Really looking forward to the trip that will include travel down some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hopefully it will be cooler than here in Texas (105 tomorrow).

Archived