Home Studio In Rental Property

Hello All,

I am finally starting up my own studio after 7 years of grad school and no creative outlet! I have inherited two old (60's or 70's) Paragon kilns from my grandmother and my great aunt that I'd like to set up at home. Unfortunately, our duplex was very crappily built in 1980 and so we'd definitely want an electrician to come out to see if if can even handle the little paragon (P14).

When I brought this up with my landlady she was very concerned (bitchy, even) about the "risks" of using a kiln near a house and wants complete specs and for me to write up and/or document some kind of risk analysis about the safety of setting up kilns at home. Also, she doesn't really want us to call an electrician (even if we pay for it) b/c she's afraid then they'd have to do an inspection and find that the electrical system is out of code (with the implication that then she'd have to pay to get the house out of code). My first thought was, "shouldn't the house be up to code if you're renting it out?". She also wants to talk to her "lawyer friend" and her homeowners insurance about how having the kilns might affect her liability and insurance rates and made it very clear she'd pass any cost increases along to us.

Anyway, all of this has made me think that this might be way more of a pain than I thought. I was finally excited about having gotten the kilns, but the prospect of dealing with the landlady just makes me want to drop it all....Any advice?

Thanks,

TS

Guest HerbNorris

Woo boy, what a mess, huh?

If I were in your position, it would sound like much more trouble than it might be worth - Too many hoops to jump through to get the reward!

Hello All,

I am finally starting up my own studio after 7 years of grad school and no creative outlet! I have inherited two old (60's or 70's) Paragon kilns from my grandmother and my great aunt that I'd like to set up at home. Unfortunately, our duplex was very crappily built in 1980 and so we'd definitely want an electrician to come out to see if if can even handle the little paragon (P14).

When I brought this up with my landlady she was very concerned (bitchy, even) about the "risks" of using a kiln near a house and wants complete specs and for me to write up and/or document some kind of risk analysis about the safety of setting up kilns at home. Also, she doesn't really want us to call an electrician (even if we pay for it) b/c she's afraid then they'd have to do an inspection and find that the electrical system is out of code (with the implication that then she'd have to pay to get the house out of code). My first thought was, "shouldn't the house be up to code if you're renting it out?". She also wants to talk to her "lawyer friend" and her homeowners insurance about how having the kilns might affect her liability and insurance rates and made it very clear she'd pass any cost increases along to us.

Anyway, all of this has made me think that this might be way more of a pain than I thought. I was finally excited about having gotten the kilns, but the prospect of dealing with the landlady just makes me want to drop it all....Any advice?

Thanks,

TS

I have had three ceramics studios in apartments with a kiln and potter’s wheel, in New York City. I did not tell the owners because the kilns were called 'apartment size' kilns. The kilns were placed on a bed of cement blocks on an inch high, raised subfloor, near a window, away from the walls, which allowed air to circulate around it; the added height was very good for a low square top loader. I kept the room very sparse, nothing extraneous. There were no curtains, no pictures and nothing around the floors. I used a fan at the windows to vent out even in winter. As for the electricity I knew that the buildings had 120 volts of power which was standard for apartment buildings. However I once needed to change the breaker to increase amperage and I had to change the wall receptacle for the kiln and was taught how to do it.

I have a few questions for you; how large are the kilns? What city are you living in? Are you in earthquake territory? Will you need bracing? How will you vent? What are the floors made of? They need to be fire proof. Do you have the correct voltage and enough amperage at the circuit breakers to run these kilns? Do you have the proper receptacle/outlet for the plugs?

You can check with the electrician about the electrical code at the time the building was constructed. If there is copper wiring that’s good, but if it is aluminum I would not attempt it without a licensed electrician’s ok.

Maybe there is a garage that the landlady may be willing to let you use? If she asked you for schematics and electrical information that must mean she is not totally contrary to the idea but is being cautious about her property.

Get the operation manual review it. Meet with your landlady along with your electrician to help belay her fears. If it works out, I would be a responsible and diligent tenant and never, ever leave the kiln firing unattended. Just in case if things toppled over I was always near by to hear it and could stop the firing. I use to fire at night when I would be home anyway. I wouldn’t go run to the store while the kiln is firing or go visit my friends. I got whatever I needed before ‘firing day’ or at least, before I flipped the switch.

Old kilns, old house, terrified landlady, no previous experience .... I can't find an upside.

The landlady is right and also has the most to lose if things go wrong so I can't blame her for freaking

You also have no idea of the problems, inspections and costs that might loom in this venture.

I would not go there ... But that is years of experience and tons of mistakes talking.

I struggled for some time trying to figure out the kiln in home or aparment issue. I finally got together with another ceramic friend and we started to look for a place where we could work and put our kilns. At first I thought we would never come upon the right place. One was too big, or too small or the landlord too crazy, or the light was bad. finally the stars lined up. We wanted about 1000square feet and we dreamt of paying 300euro/month. We found and old bicycle factory on an old farm right in town. Near the city train and beach yet far enough from neighboring houses where we can do raku and smoking work. It has over 2000square feet and we are paying 700euro/month and will be able to rent space out. SO, MY POINT IS, don't be afraid to look for the ideal place. something you never dreamt of may come up. www.atelier2ceramica.com check out the photos. We are very happy!!!

As someone who owns rental property and has had a variety of tenants over the years I can understand your landlady's concern. It's my investment that goes up in smoke if you are not responsible with your kiln. I've had really great tenants and I've had tenants that seemed fine but as soon as something didn't go their way all hell broke loose and it always cost me money, cleaning and repairs. It's a risk I wouldn't take because as someone else mentioned I have the most to loose. You can essentially walk away if something goes wrong and I'm then left with the mess to clean up. You are probably responsible but it's still a risk for the landlady.

Renee

Hello All,

Thanks,

TS

I'm sorry - this post isn't likely to be what you want to hear either .... I have a small studio away from our house and also rent space with my daughter in an old ex-cotton mill close to where she lives.

Neither of us likes the thought of having a kiln inside our homes but that's probably because of all the work entailed in installing a kiln safely.

In both spaces, we've reinforced and heat-protected the floor (although this was minimally necessary in the mill) and brick-built what I can only describe as half a small roofless room to house the kiln, then, in my small studio, I have a semi-industrial extractor system.

The good news is that our mill space is cheap - it works out at around thirty dollars a week (with acknowledgement to Google converter!) and we pay half each. It's a huge space and the mill houses artists co-operatives so it's win-win as far as we're concerned particularly because it gives us a dedicated workspace where we can just leave stuff around and easily accessible which would be difficult to do in a home

I do hope you are able to find such a space or can resolve your difficulties and get up-and-running soon

Christine

I have to comment here also. I once had rental property that cost lots to repair from irresponsible tenants. I have also installed kilns in rental property. One frightening experience (having nothing to do with the kiln) was in a rural concrete house where lightning shorted out a transformer down the road and started an electrical fire where the hot water heater was wrongly grounded . Got the power off and covered the orange glowing power cords with glaze chemicals waiting for the heat to die. Good thing we were home at the time.

I agree with Rose...look for rental space. The installation of a kiln or any potential property damage is most likely not in your lease.

Marcia

Most leases and city/county zoning regs do not allow business or specifically manufacturing activities in a residential zone.

See if the governing agency allows your plan as a biz or hobby, depending on your intent, and under what conditions.

Renter's or biz insurance that would cover any possible concerns would likely be mandatory for consideration of approval as well as a written agreement to change any alterations back at move out.

If there is major electrical or gas line changes for hookup you may need a permit. You do not want the after the fact fines or fight.

if your apts do not allow individual barbecues, as many do not - don't even ask.

People who rent houses and just do not bring it up are typically the ones who have home kilns as renters. Apartment dwellers have potential harm/costs to others in the same building via electric gas or fire or smoke or smell problems, so it is less likely to go unnoticed or to get approved , from what i have seen.

Best of luck and keep us posted !

Most leases and city/county zoning regs do not allow business or specifically manufacturing activities in a residential zone.

See if the governing agency allows your plan as a biz or hobby, depending on your intent, and under what conditions.

Renter's or biz insurance that would cover any possible concerns would likely be mandatory for consideration of approval as well as a written agreement to change any alterations back at move out.

If there is major electrical or gas line changes for hookup you may need a permit. You do not want the after the fact fines or fight.

if your apts do not allow individual barbecues, as many do not - don't even ask.

People who rent houses and just do not bring it up are typically the ones who have home kilns as renters. Apartment dwellers have potential harm/costs to others in the same building via electric gas or fire or smoke or smell problems, so it is less likely to go unnoticed or to get approved , from what i have seen.

Best of luck and keep us posted !

I liked the responses and it's not even my dilemma. I like the fact that you all took this seriously and gave alternatives.

I think TS does need to find a suitable studio space. I wish I could have back when I set up my studios but the added cost was prohibitive. I was new in the field and still learning. I knew the dangers of the high heat of the kiln and the potential fire hazards but I was very diligent about the safety factors. I did not experiment with all kinds of chemicals and definitely NO Raku! I did straight forward ceramics- throwing, trimming, bisque fire, and glazing. I must say I learned a lot.

We are all concerned about TS and if the responsibility factor will be there. We don’t know but we all hope it will be. I am nervous about it also.

TS, you cannot be cavalier about this and cannot take it as ‘just playing around’ or that 'it's just a little hobby on the side’ for it is not. If you feel you cannot give full and diligent care about the potential dangers then don’t attempt it. It is better to seek out a more suitable living/working arrangement in which you can safely do this work. But remember all of the safety factors will still apply no matter where you go.

I haven't had to deal with landlords, but my first studio was an addition to my home so I still had to face the rewiring and setting up a safe area for the kiln. My kiln needed a 220 plug and a 60 amp circuit breaker. The first electrician saw that the specs on the kiln said it pulled 45 amps so he put in a 50 amp breaker and wiring that was one step below what was needed (without saying anything about the change). My first firing tripped the 50 amp breaker and I ended up losing most of the pots because the refire didn't work either. At first I thought it was a power failure (in snow country that happens a lot). Unplugging the kiln, I realized the socket and wall were hot to the touch and knew I had a problem. The second electrician had to pull new wires and change out the breaker. Not an inexpensive way to start my studio.

I guess what I'm trying to say is consider your duplex rental as if it were your home that you were turning into a studio. If that were the case, you wouldn't cut corners, nor take foolish chances and jeopardize your life and property because it is a temporary situation. The duplex probably is up to code for habitation, but not what you are considering.

Please look for commercial property that is fireproof (bricks, concrete blocks, metal), already set up with 220 wiring. I think a perfect place would be an old building that used to be a Pizza parlor. Heavy duty wiring for the oven, running water, and usually comes with a exhaust fan of some sort. Make sure you are covered with liability/fire insurance in case of accidents. If it's a little spendy--rent wise--find another potter to share space and expenses. Once the studio is safely established--even if you change your residence--you won't have to move all your studio equipment.

And a question for Lucille. When you changed the breaker and the outlet, did you also change the amperage of the wiring so it could carry the load? If not, consider yourself lucky the building didn't burn. Scarey!

I haven't had to deal with landlords, but my first studio was an addition to my home so I still had to face the rewiring and setting up a safe area for the kiln. My kiln needed a 220 plug and a 60 amp circuit breaker. The first electrician saw that the specs on the kiln said it pulled 45 amps so he put in a 50 amp breaker and wiring that was one step below what was needed (without saying anything about the change). My first firing tripped the 50 amp breaker and I ended up losing most of the pots because the refire didn't work either. At first I thought it was a power failure (in snow country that happens a lot). Unplugging the kiln, I realized the socket and wall were hot to the touch and knew I had a problem. The second electrician had to pull new wires and change out the breaker. Not an inexpensive way to start my studio.

I guess what I'm trying to say is consider your duplex rental as if it were your home that you were turning into a studio. If that were the case, you wouldn't cut corners, nor take foolish chances and jeopardize your life and property because it is a temporary situation. The duplex probably is up to code for habitation, but not what you are considering.

Please look for commercial property that is fireproof (bricks, concrete blocks, metal), already set up with 220 wiring. I think a perfect place would be an old building that used to be a Pizza parlor. Heavy duty wiring for the oven, running water, and usually comes with a exhaust fan of some sort. Make sure you are covered with liability/fire insurance in case of accidents. If it's a little spendy--rent wise--find another potter to share space and expenses. Once the studio is safely established--even if you change your residence--you won't have to move all your studio equipment.

And a question for Lucille. When you changed the breaker and the outlet, did you also change the amperage of the wiring so it could carry the load? If not, consider yourself lucky the building didn't burn. Scarey!

I did not tell all I had to do or all that was done. An electrician came to my residence checked the wiring, tested the circuits, checked the outlets, my kiln schematic and kiln instructions (I ordered the manual before I purchased the kiln). He told me what I needed. I did not do this on my own. I had much advice from many qualified sources. I would never proceed on anything as important as dealing with electricity and high fire kilns on my own. No way! I was scared also which is why I had all that help. But it did work out and I never had any problems. And yes I did change the amperage. The wire gauge at the breaker was suitable for the change. There were a few things I understood about the process, which is probably why everyone thought I could do this. And I did do it with God's help. Praise the Lord!

Archived