Rates For Glaze Firing

clay lover

How fast do you ramp up the glaze firing in your kiln? I have a Skutt 1027, and I know I need to go slower the first ramp and the last one before reaching peak I run at 1208 per hour to 2195 with a 15 min soak to a good 6^., but how fast can I run the 2nd ramp without causing problems?

Actually as long as we're here, what do you do with bisque that is bone dry, I'm taking 14 hours to ^05. That sounds like a long time?

How fast do you ramp up the glaze firing in your kiln? I have a Skutt 1027, and I know I need to go slower the first ramp and the last one before reaching peak I run at 1208 per hour to 2195 with a 15 min soak to a good 6^., but how fast can I run the 2nd ramp without causing problems?

Actually as long as we're here, what do you do with bisque that is bone dry, I'm taking 14 hours to ^05. That sounds like a long time?

I have a Skutt 1027 but it is a manual fire, I fire the second ramp a least two hours, longer if the kiln is heavily loaded. The bisque firing can also vary if the work is sculptural, I turn the bottom low on all night and then start turning it up slowly in the morning. The rate you fire a kiln depends on the type of work you are firing and how heavily it's loaded. If I fire a load of tile, I fire it slowly, too fast the tiles in the center won't get up to temp. Rushing the second ramp seems to make the third ramp take longer to reach temp. I bought my first kiln a used Paragon 35 years ago, I still use it, I have learned over the years it doesn't pay to rush. Denice (Wichita, KS)

Archived