Mold Release Materials

Recently we were having a discussion regarding our favorite mold release materials and many suggested Murphy Oil Soap or WD-40. I prefer not to use WD-40. I checked the bottle of Murphy Oil Soap and while they do not list the ingredients they do say it is pure vegetable oil soap on their label. Also on the label is a caution that if the product contacts the eye to rinse thoroughly with water and if swallowed drink a glass of water to dilute it: pretty benign remedies by today's standards. So Murphy Oil is now high on my list of mold releases. The odd thing is that sometimes in a discussion one tends to forget specifics (at least I do) sometimes and one of the things that I forgot to mention is that I like wax polish for a mold release also. I particularly like the hard waxes that one uses to finish a nice piece of wood, something like Butcher's Wax (a brand name not an application) or Bowling Alley Wax again they are heavy on vegetable waxes primarily Carnauba. I am preparing a piece to be molded (that's what triggered the memory) and I'm going to try the Murphy's Oil because it seems like it will wash out better than many of the other products. The ability to wash out the mold after making it enhances the absorptive qualities and that has been why for years I used melted Ivory soap. But toady I'll see if the Murphy's oil will wash out as well.

Best regards,

Charles

I recently cast a large plaster slab on plexiglas for making large image transfer tiles. I used the straight Murphy's Oil soap on the cogs for the frame. The slab is about 22 x 26 and glass smooth on the good side thanks to the plexiglas. I didn't use anything on that surface.

The walls with the Murphy's oil soap release without any problem.

For more detailed casts like antique wood filagree for large sprigs, I brush on Murphy's Oil soap with a soft brush..

Marcia

I have good luck with the cheapest butter spray I can find....usually at the dollar store. It is spray like Pam - doesn't have the smell of WD 40 and also not the cost. When using large forms, I lay a piece of very thin material like organza or nylon and plastic wrap like Saran Wrap works just about everywhere.

i just used murphys oil soap to cast opposites of molds i already made. it worked beautifully!

even though i used dish soap and water to wash off the molds when i was done, it still seems like theres oil on them.

do i just let it go? or do i try to wash it off again?

Archived