Glaze Comparison

At work on night shift again... Decided to make myself a glaze oxide comparison spread sheet in Excel 2010. You can sort by columns and I have set it up to turn blue when the value is under a set limit and turn red if it is over a set limit. You can change these limits on the second sheet.

If anybody does try it just delete my glaze data and tell me if it works :D You will have to enable the macros if you want to use the sort buttons.

If you think anything has been missed or other functions let me know too.

Maybe this could be done in glaze calc software xD

post-23281-0-81285200-1425522303_thumb.png

File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/un6kiybtredj94i/Glaze%20Comparison%20Spread%20Sheet.xlsm?dl=0

post-23281-0-81285200-1425522303_thumb.png

I loooovvvvve Excel spreadsheets - used the all the time as a headteacher before retirement. I only wish my understanding of glazes was such that I could appreciate yours.

Having just started trying to mix my own glazes my head is full of a ton of confusing chemistry and I'm discovering that a 60 year old brain doesn't compute things as well as a 50, 40, or 30 year old one!

I've read so much but still find it hard going. All I really want to do is find perhaps 3 / 4 reliable glazes that work for me. I know I need to spend a dedicated length of time working on nothing else, rather than flitting from idea to idea, process to process.

Have been looking for a short glazing course for months, but they are very hard to come by. A one day workshop was helpful to do the practical measuring etc. for a line blend, but where to go next is the problem.

Which of the various ingredients of an 'ok' glaze to vary in a triaxial for example. (Can you tell I've been reading about glaze tests??!)

Then it'll be back to the 60 year old brain thing - focussed concentration needed with the careful measuring required and meticulous note taking! Aha - so I almost know where to go next...Just need he answer to the question above and set aside half a day and get on with it!!!!

Sorry for going off piste a bit - this is just right where I'm at right now.

Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet High Bridge, I've saved it to my drop box for a time in the future when I might be able to use it! Were you really on the night shift, or was that a euphemism for not being able to sleep?

No euphemisms :D I work for the NHS on their switchboard. Most of my time is spent waiting for people to ring needing doctors woken up or wards in hospitals. There are not many people phoning on a night time so it is nice and quiet to get things done that I would otherwise avoid. I have 10 hours that I have to sit in front of a computer so I may aswell use it.

I made this because I have so many transparents and white glaze tests and I wanted a way to compare the unity amounts. It is interesting to be able to look at a glaze next to another and see "ok they have very similar silica and alumina values but this one has much more calcium or whatever which is making it a more this kind of glaze"

It would be great if I could add in some way to put in a recipe and have it work out the unity values but that will be left for another night shift. Too boring to do in my free time :D

Once I use it some more it will probably be improved on.

Archived