Pottery@ Home

angelogolatt

you can do more than low fire at home. You should decide what it is you want to do and then proceed from there. Very small kilns can run on normal 120 house current but may need a new line with higher amps than many older homes wiring provided. If you want a larger kiln, even for low fire, you would probably want a dedicated line installed.

Marcia

I have a small studio set up at home in a spare room with a small kiln in the garage. We had a 220 dedicated line run to the garage. If you decide to look for a kiln make sure it is a single phase and that you have enough amps on you breaker. I do mid-range firing.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are planning on this I would have an electrician come in to see what your house is capable of so you don't sink money into a kiln that you can't use. Also consider (even though it may be a hobby) what you would like to make. Will the kiln size limit what you make and are you ok creating things to fit in your kiln? Do you want to stick with low-fire or go to midfire-high fire range? I thought I would always be a low fire girl but made a huge investment into mid fire glazes because I was consistently unhappy with low fire glazes. You are also going to want to consider the specs of your garage studio for safety as well. What type of flooring do you have? Skutt has a a manual on how to set up a studio safely and that should help you figure some of these things out.

Overall home studios are very possible and so convenient! Best of luck in getting things set up!

Archived