Painting On Ceramic Pots

anaskk

Hello, 

I am a painter and cartoonist. I live in Paris and I would like to do painting on ceramic pots. Does anybody know where can i get cheap plain ceramic pots in Paris. Also, if you can explain about what kind of paints and brushes using for the painting on ceramic and what method should I use while on painting , it would be great.

Thanks

Anas

Well, bonjour! ^_^ This is my arena, for sure. I'm not sure about getting bisqueware in Paris (try google, maybe?), but I can help with the "painting" part. There are a number of different ways you can do this, and I'll explain them.

Underglaze:

This stuff is what I use for my pottery's illustrations. It can be applied to greenware (raw, unfired pottery) or bisqueware (pottery that has been fired once at a low temperature, but not to maturity). Either way, you have to run the piece in a bisque cycle to "seal" the colors in.

The other way is painting underglaze on top of dried (but unfired) glaze. You take a piece of bisqueware, apply glaze that doesn't move a whole lot during firing, wait for it to dry, and make your illustration on the glaze. I don't like this method, since glazes can be really unpredictable, but it opens up a wider avenue for colored backgrounds.

Also note that pencil marks all burn away in the kiln, like a magic eraser. :)

China painting:

This is exactly how it sounds. You paint china. China painting is freaking difficult and I never got the process down... You get special "china paint" and paint over pottery that already has glaze on it. Then, you fire it at a really low temperature (like ^018 or something, I can't quite remember). This is a really picky process that takes years to master, but can have wonderful effects.

I have a bunch of my underglaze work in my gallery here; just click my guinea pig on the left and head to my profile to find my stuff. :)

Good luck!

But if you are interested in China painting, you may want to get a copy of Paul Lewing's book on China painting. He is well known for his painted landscape designs in kitchens, bathrooms and showers. He is a master China Painting and has a background in painting.

The largest ceramic supplier in France is Ceradal. I bought from them when I was working Valauris, France. They had a distributor  in Antibes. There should be at least one in Paris. If not, call the Sevres Museum of Ceramics near the Pont du Sevres. They may have some ideas.

You may enjoy visiting Sevres' museum. It was the Nationall Porcelain Factory in the past. There are infinite examples of decorating techniques from all over the world. Other than the underglaze technique that Guinea suggested, Majolica or Faience is over glaze painting on top of a dry glaze already applied to the pot but not fired. China painting is applied to an already glaze fired piece and then fired to a very low temperature around 1100 F. or maybe a little higher.

Paints and brushes

underglazes    water color brushes

china paints http://ceramicartsdaily.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/brushesforchinapainting.pdf

over glazes with majolica/faience   water color brushes

Marcia

Archived