Pierced Clay

fruch

The dry end of leather hard. Too damp and you don't get clean holes and have lots of clean up. This has been my tendency, and it creates loads of extra work, going back several times to get the sharpness I like. Too dry and the clay crumbles or cracks. One problem is the piece drying out as you work (I spend hours carving and piercing!) - wrapping the areas you're not working on helps and I sometimes spritz it with water along the way. I also use a Magic Box damp box to keep my work from drying out between making and carving/piercing. If a piece becomes too dry, at any stage, a few days in the damp box will bring it back to a more workable state. Great , especially if you're not working in the studio every day, to catch pieces at just the right stage.

I also spend hours carving and piercing and have that problem of the piece drying while I'm working on it. I begin while its at the damper end of leather hard which I find is easier to work with but I do have a little more work cleaning it up. I don't like spraying with water as I go because I feel it weakens the clay and makes it more brittle when it's finally bone dry. We each have our preferences but you'll discover your own comfortable way of doing things as you gain more experience and get a feel for the process.

- Paul R.

Archived