Can You Double A Wood Burning Oven As A Kiln?

John, they do make some great oxidation glazes, that mimic wood fire effects.......

I'm bisquing later in week and going to cook a few turkeys and pies in gas kiln -any suggestions on basting them so they can hold up to cone 08?

Foil wrap or should I use ceramic fiber?

I thought about the electric kiln but the drippings will stain the bricks and I'll have to sponge it off every fire with water.

I just could not help myself on this one.All in jest

Mark

Mark, what you are going to want to do is stuff the chicken with a beer can, to help keep the meat moist up to cone 08. If you go any hotter, you need to contact TJR and get some of that Canadian beer, which will better be able to handle the higher temperatures.

Don't bring me into this! You guys are on your own. We are polite in Canada, remember.

TJR.

John, they do make some great oxidation glazes, that mimic wood fire effects.......

I'm bisquing later in week and going to cook a few turkeys and pies in gas kiln -any suggestions on basting them so they can hold up to cone 08?

Foil wrap or should I use ceramic fiber?

I thought about the electric kiln but the drippings will stain the bricks and I'll have to sponge it off every fire with water.

I just could not help myself on this one.All in jest

Mark

Mark, what you are going to want to do is stuff the chicken with a beer can, to help keep the meat moist up to cone 08. If you go any hotter, you need to contact TJR and get some of that Canadian beer, which will better be able to handle the higher temperatures.

Don't bring me into this! You guys are on your own. We are polite in Canada, remember.

TJR.

Very polite, unless of course someone at an Art Show asks if you have a certain item, a bit bigger, smaller, in a different color....

So from what I'm taking from this is the best thing to do with American beer is put it up the back end of a chicken?  :P

I'm not a drinker, so as far as I'm concerned, the best thing to do with any beer, is shove it up a chicken's butt.  It's also apparently a good aging additive for clay.

If you have some extra bricks, you can easily set up to do sawdust firing if you like decorative pottery. I did some when I was in school and again when I moved to a new residence and had no studio set up yet.  Here are a couple links to see what different people do with it.  I always liked the look from burnishing the pots first.

-  http://www.potspotspots.co.uk/sawdust-and-raku-firing/

-(you can skip to about 58 seconds with this one)  

Archived