Transparent Glaze For Stoneware

Celia UK

Have been using white earthenware to date, but decided to try some smooth, speckled stoneware (Valentines Special Fleck 1150 oC - 1280 oC). If I fire this to within the stated temperature range, could I use a lower firing transparent glaze or MUST I invest in a transparent that has a range that matches that of the clay?

The stoneware firing range (1150C to 1280C/2102F to 2336F) looks to be Cone 5 to Cone 10, well above the firing range for your low-fire clear. At those higher temperatures, I suspect you will over melt the glaze and potentially end up with a glaze pool at the bottom. Try it on a couple test tiles first, but make sure you put those test tile in a shallow bowl or on a cookie to catch any glaze runs. You might also want to do some tests on durability (freezing/boiling water/etc) if it fires okay, to make sure it will be okay for functional use.

I could have guessed the answer really!! I'll definitely test, thanks Bruce for the reminder to place pieces in a bowl or on cookie. One transparent I have has a firing range 1060o - 1100oC and I wondered how critical that 50o difference (lower end of clay range - upper end of glaze) would make.

Archived