Gradient Slip Decoration

synj00

Wondering if there is a clever way to do gradient slip decoration where one color fades into another. My idea so far has been to water down the slip and get progressively thicker as I want the darker color. But I think that it would end up being a gradation of stripes. I may be able to brush from each application downward into the thinner applications to mask the lines though. Anyone tackle this before?

I would do this using the Skinner Blend technique. If you Google it you will see thousands of 'How To' for polymer clays, but I have found the technique easily translates to our earthen clays by using either rolling pins or your slab roller.

In the images below I have made a sheet of gradient color, sliced it into as many shaded strips as I needed. You can just let these strips dry then add water to make as many shades of the same color as you need. That way all of your slips are the same consistency and they will all fade beautifully into each other as you go.

This is a fabulous technique for any kind of slip decoration ... why be boring with one shade when you can easily do two or three with the same brush stroke! :D

post-1585-0-75471900-1394562724_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-46204000-1394562734_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-21545800-1394562742_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-75471900-1394562724_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-46204000-1394562734_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-21545800-1394562742_thumb.jpg

I would do this using the Skinner Blend technique. If you Google it you will see thousands of 'How To' for polymer clays, but I have found the technique easily translates to our earthen clays by using either rolling pins or your slab roller.

In the images below I have made a sheet of gradient color, sliced it into as many shaded strips as I needed. You can just let these strips dry then add water to make as many shades of the same color as you need. That way all of your slips are the same consistency and they will all fade beautifully into each other as you go.

This is a fabulous technique for any kind of slip decoration ... why be boring with one shade when you can easily do two or three with the same brush stroke! :D

Chris,

I dont know why I didnt think of this too. My wife has done a lot of polymer clay as well and as soon as you mentioned it it clicked. That's why clay is so fun because it is so elemental that there is literally inspiration everywhere and in everything. If you can think it you can do it!

Archived