Cost Of Firing 40 Cu Ft. Gas Kiln To ^10?

Loring

Guest JBaymore

I have demonstrated this to kiln classes and workshop participants before...... I can have two different people fire the same kiln with the same weight load of ware to a specific cone... and the fuel consumptions can vary WIDELY.  And if the kiln is then fired byu someone who knows how to adjust it with a oxyprobe/ flue gas analyzer..... the consumption can be dropped from either of them.

Then you have the problem of what the kiln in question is made out of.  There will be a massive difference between  a kiln made of hard firebricks, one made of insulating firebricks, and one made of ceramic fiber.

Updraft?  Dopwndarft?  Crossdraft?

Who designed the unit, and is it an effeicent design?

Then there is the issue of density of loading.  Some people will get X weight of clay wares into a 40 cubic foot kiln.  Others will get much more... others much less.

Then there is the cost of natural gas invoived.  Different places have differnt costs per Therm for gas.

This question phrased this way is a bit like asking, "How much does a steak dinner cost?"  Well.... what cut of steak?  How large a cut of meat is it?  Does it come with accomnyments or is it ala carte?  At which restaqtraunt?

You have to anarrowe it down... and expect that your mileage may vary from whatever answer you get.

best,

......................john

My friend with a propane 24  car kiln costs 80-100$ in Humboldt county ,Ca.This is a soft brick Olympic-fiber door If I recall.

My natural gas 35 car kiln is about 60-70$ also in Humboldt-mine is mostly soft brick with some hard in the hot spots.Fiber door

Johns statement above is 100% correct .More info is needed. 

Mark

Archived