Shimpo Pm 0-71

Biglou13

Any pugmill with any aluminum parts that come in contact with porcelain will have corrosion problems. I talked to Jim Bailey last month and he said they are also seeing corrosion from low fire talc bodies in the aluminum barrels now that the talc supply has changed. Some of the smooth white porcelain type stonewares that use nepsy to flux are causing corrosion too. If you cleaned your pugger out after every use I would imagine that would solve the porcelain issue but I can't imagine doing that much work. 

I don't use any bodies with grog or sand so can't comment on that question.

Yes you have to strip down and clean the pugger out when switching clays. (unless they are similar bodies and you don't mind a bit of mixing of the 2)

Min

I had all those conversations, too, With all the manufacturers, before I made my choice.

I went with the SS so that I could store all scraps in the pugger and seal it up until there is a full load. It does not work well with a partial load.

I use several different clay, and don't open it and clean it between, but I don't try to change from white to dark red. When changing, I go to the next closest color, scrape the sides of the barrel around the auger some, wedge that up by hand.(I have a PP with a BIG opening ),then run the new color. The first log is the old color, then the next is a mix. I don't mind that . From then on, it's the new color.

When I use white, , the small variations don't bother me, I don't use light celadon glazes, so no matter.

Archived