Glaze Chemistry Textbook

jrgpots

I really need to get a ceramics chemistry text book at this point any suggestions?

"The Magic of Fire" book that comes with the Level II version of Insight glaze calc software. Plus the online tutorials that teach you how to use Insight. Plus having Insight (free time limited download) and learing what iot does and how to use it. And a copy of the latest (last) version of Daniel Rhodes "Clay and Galzes for the Potter" updated by Robin Hopper (which is out of print and now expensive... but a GREAT intro book).

best,

................john

From another post. Jb....... Still teaches college level....

Guest JBaymore

Thanks for the quote Biglou. :)

I ALSO use a lot of my own handouts for that course to supplement the various books.  And of course there are in class lectures and discussions.  And LOTS of testing lab work.  THAT is the key to learning about this.  Understand basic scinetific method and then ......test, test, test.

But for self-study, you can't beat those two I mentioned.

And I STRONGLY reccommned getting the Level II version of Insight (and using the video tutorials to learn to use it).  The Level II gives you access to online info on the Digtitalfire website that goes WAY beyond what is avilable for free.  And the free stuff is great too.

best,

......................john

Thanks for the quote Biglou. :)

I ALSO use a lot of my own handouts for that course to supplement the various books. And of course there are in class lectures and discussions. And LOTS of testing lab work. THAT is the key to learning about this. Understand basic scinetific method and then ......test, test, test.

But for self-study, you can't beat those two I mentioned.

And I STRONGLY reccommned getting the Level II version of Insight (and using the video tutorials to learn to use it). The Level II gives you access to online info on the Digtitalfire website that goes WAY beyond what is avilable for free. And the free stuff is great too.

best,

......................john

I have read through and viewed the free stuff at digifire/Insight many time and have wanted to get level II. I guess it,s time to fish instead of cutting bait.

John do you have a syllabus or course outline I could purchase? I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement not to sell it, use for any other purpose other than personal learning. If I lived in your area, I,d enroll!

I don't want to step on any toes so......

Jed

Guest JBaymore

Jed,

Not something that I'd want to do...... and even maybe gets into potential "relationship issues" with my college.  I try to help here however I can.

best,

.................john

jrgpots,

You might also want to look at the late Ian Currie's magnificent book Stoneware Glazes.

The first half of the book discusses glaze theory, testing and test-tile preparation. The

second half does a tour of a wide range of classical glazes. The book is long out of print,

but can be seen online at http://stonewareglazes.currie.to/

The Currie grid -- showing the effect of varying alumina and silica while keeping fluxes

constant -- is Ian's addition to the usual range of test layouts (e.g. line-blend & triaxial).

Examples can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/nwa2hs8

... click once to enlarge an image, and a second time to see it full-size.

Regards, Peter

A long discussion on the use of Currie grids to explore a rutile glaze is given in

http://tinyurl.com/o4x8a82 An example grid showing the effect of varying only

alumina and silica is at http://tinyurl.com/qekqjfw

This discussion identifies glazes by number within the grid, here is the key:

http://tinyurl.com/p2x8f24

ronin without master

students without teachers.....

....Kind of feels like "Grasshopper" in the original series of Kung Fu....standing out in the rain in front of the monastery, hoping to be trained.....lol

Don't take the food until the Master has eaten first. It's amazing what you can learn from watching T.V.

TJR.

electric cone 6 oxidation, gas cone 10 oxidation and reduction ( when I finish my gas kiln project).

Peter H, thanks for the texts, liturature searches.

TJR, didn't know if anyone was going to get a reference to an old TV show....I like  the work of John Britt.  I have checked his book from interlibrary loans in the past. 

It's cool that he will add his two cents in the forum every once in a while.  At least I think it is the same John Britt..........I am so bad with names, I might have just put my foot in my mouth....We will see.  

Jed

Yes I am making flutes and my last three look great.  And they sing great too.  I may put a pic up in my gallery.  Thanks for remembering.

BTW, I just located a clay mine about 45 minutes from my house.  It's an old BLM mine claim. It produces a very plastic stoneware clay that needs very little working/ adjustments.  I'm getting the directions tomorrow so this weekend I can go MINING!   Now that sounds cool....I slaked down some bentonite/ kaolinite last night that I also found close to the house.

I'll look into Rhodes/Hopper book.

Jed

I'm excited about your clay.

I'm saying the I'm using epk is local since it's mined locally. (Less than hour) But it's technically commercial

I've. Found some from what I've been told, silty organic clay deposits that the indigenous Indians once used. From what John says sounds somewhat bizen like. I need to get permission to dig.

Archived