Materials Testing

jrgpots

I have collected a number of local clays, granite, slate, and mineral samples. I approached the local college chemisrty and geology departments to analyze them. They don't have a community outreach program to do this.

So where can I get material analyzed and at what cost? What size sample is needed?

I am in South West Utah.

Any hints,

Jed

There is always trial and error. Before modern technology, before electricity......some one figured out how to make pots.

Unfortunately trial,and error really slows down the success curve. You already know what some of the materials are thats a huge step in right direction.

NSL. Analytics.

There was a post about ceramic testing for food safe (ness) I imagine these companies would do it.

But keep us updated on your progress. Are you making clay?

There is always trial and error. Before modern technology, before electricity......some one figured out how to make pots.

Unfortunately trial,and error really slows down the success curve. You already know what some of the materials are thats a huge step in right direction.

NSL. Analytics.

There was a post about ceramic testing for food safe (ness) I imagine these companies would do it.

But keep us updated on your progress. Are you making clay?

I have lots of local bentinite. There are many mines. Most of the material is sandstone and limestone. There are are deposits of shale and slate from which I hope to make both glaze and clay....mainly glaze.

I have been following your posts about clay making. I'm not there quite yet. However, I am adding granite and scoria (lava dust) to white clay bodies right now with good results. I want to make local glazes first, then clays.

Jed

Guest JBaymore

You'll likely want to find a university that has the facilities to do this.  Commercially it is pretty darn expensive.

And remember that there is a whole art to doing the sampling procedures for the testing....... to get a representative sample analysis.  And that is ALL that it is....... representative of the GENERAL deposit.  Got to another spot in the deposit... and you get something different. (True with many commercially mined materioals also... that is why they call the info they give you on the materials a "typical" analysis.)

Lou has it spot on..........

Unless you are doing some seriously controlled work and need tight specs and consistent repeatability, tried-and-true potter type testing methods (fusion buttons, line blends, triaxials, etc.) likely will suffice and give you what you need to know.  Local materials usage by an individual typically is not the realm of industrual approaches...... if you need that.. ..... use commerciallly prepared and controlled materials.

best,

.................john

Archived