Teaching Position

Houston is a great city.

Marcia

When I drive from GA to CA I detour about 1,000 miles to avoid driving though Texas.

Jim;

I am apalled. Go drink another cup of coffee and come back when you are in a better mood.

TJR.

I agree that the scenery is not great and driving from New Orleans to LA through Texas is a long flat drive.

But jobs are not so available. Just wanted to let people know. It is a good art scene in Houston. NCECA proved that.

The drive from Brownsville to Houston is flat scrub barrens. to Austin there is a little hill country with cattle now being overrun by oil development.You'd have to detour 1000 miles at least because texas is that wide. Going the Southern route on I8 or I 10 you can stop at all the many border checkpoints..they make you stop.

Marcia

Its part of Homeland Security. I have to pass through a border check about 80 miles north of the border between Brownsville and Corpus Christi en route to just about anywhere I might be going.I am at the southern most tip of Texas.They are looking for drugs, weapons or illegals.

Marcia

Whenever you say "border", I think you are referring to the Canadian/American border. I guess you mean the Mexican border-duh.

There's a joke in here somewhere, but I don't want to be racist. Please don't say that I am the joke, Jim.

TJR.

Whenever you say "border", I think you are referring to the Canadian/American border. I guess you mean the Mexican border-duh.

There's a joke in here somewhere, but I don't want to be racist. Please don't say that I am the joke, Jim.

TJR.

No sadly I think they are talking about borders or should i say controls between states. I would ask homeland if they have heard of the 4th amendment. i don't even think legally they can ask you any questions without cause and certainly not search you... But hey i am just a great whiter! T

TJR.

I wouldn't do that, even though you crazy Canucks kicked me out of Canada two times in one night in 1971.

Jim

TJR.

No sadly I think they are talking about borders or should i say controls between states. I would ask homeland if they have heard of the 4th amendment. i don't even think legally they can ask you any questions without cause and certainly not search you... But hey i am just a great whiter! T

All the states bordering Mexico have those checkpoints now. California used to stop you at its border to check for live plants and I think also for fruit and nuts.

Jim

The highway has to pass through the check points complete with lots of armed guards and canines. The one I go through to any points North has two and three lanes depending on how heavy the traffic is. I know a haz-mats business owner who has been called to go through haz-mats to remove tons of marijuana from inside haz-mat tankers. Lots of arms heading South but that isn't checked until you cross the Rio Grande. I live 2 miles from Matamoros, Mexico.But hey! It isn't like that up North in Houston, San Antonio or Austin and Dallas.

Marcia

TJR.

I wouldn't do that, even though you crazy Canucks kicked me out of Canada two times in one night in 1971.

Jim

Hey;

I was only in Grade 12 in 1971. Wasn't me.What were you up to?

TJR.

The highway has to pass through the check points complete with lots of armed guards and canines. The one I go through to any points North has two and three lanes depending on how heavy the traffic is. I know a haz-mats business owner who has been called to go through haz-mats to remove tons of marijuana from inside haz-mat tankers. Lots of arms heading South but that isn't checked until you cross the Rio Grande. I live 2 miles from Matamoros, Mexico.But hey! It isn't like that up North in Houston, San Antonio or Austin and Dallas.

Marcia

Marcia;

We drove down to Houston one Christmas, about 3 years ago. We stayed in Houston. I accidentally came across a small chapel. As I was sitting in there, I realized that I was surrounded by Mark Rothko paintings.Friends of my wife's from university let us stay in their house. Left the key under the mat. Their neighbours invited us over for a huge pot-luck meal. I remember rice and beans, which I had never eaten before. I bought a cactus in the local store and sauteed it for one meal. Guess what it tasted like-...a cactus. No flavour at all.We ate barbecue, and went to the Alamo. Had a great time. Of course the difficult part was 3 days of driving back to the cold. Have to do it again.

TJR.

I found a nice restaurant during Nceca up around 6th & west of Yale.

I have Napolitas cactus in my yard..about 15 tall. The younger leaves are what is used. And it need s a lot of additives for interest.

I took my friends, Russel Fouts and Marta Matray , to the Rothko chapel during NCECA as well.

It is a wonderful place to "be".

Marcia

TJR.

Jim

Hey;

I was only in Grade 12 in 1971. Wasn't me.What were you up to?

TJR.

I was on my way to spend the summer in Tilsonburg, Ontario.

TJR.

Jim[/

TJR.

Jim

I think i learned about that incident in school.....T

Archived