Clay Vs Glaze Question

capt don

I've got some laguna cone 5 macabee clay, I bisque it to cone 04, everything is fine and I always glaze fire to cone 5. My wife wants to put a low fire glaze on a piece the glaze is cone 06, will it work or due to the fact that the clay is a higher fire than the glaze will it not absorb or flow correctly? I always use low fire glazes on low fire clays and medium glazes on medium clay.

thanks. Capt Don

you have to define the term "works".  the presumption that the glaze will not "absorb or flow" in a way you perceive as correct is not related to the  question of whether someone should do this.  Jim posted the answer that would satisfy almost anyone involved in clay.  i am only adding the fact that firing raw, unglazed clay to any temperature results in bisque ware.  there are some wonderful videos of the factories in stoke on trent  during their heyday and looking at the whole process done in a factory is really informative.  just try getting today's teenager to lift even one of those saggers full of pots and sand on their heads and climbing a 20 foot ladder!

it all depends what you mean by "works".

The clay will be under fired, thus weaker and not suitable for food.

But ... If you are doing sculpture or decorative pieces give it a shot. As long as no one will go crazy if it is not perfect, you might as well see what happens. Break a few rules!! It is FUN.

Archived