Trying To Make A Cone 6 Bright Glaze That Doesn't Move

Marge

I'm trying to find a recipe for cone 6 colored glazes that I can put in a squeeze bottle (that won't drip down when fired).  Basically, I'm dipping the entire pot in a glaze, then I want to make designs with glazes from the squeeze bottle. I'd like the "squiggles" or "circles" to stay put.  I'd love bright colors, like yellows, greens, oranges... Is there a base glaze that I can simply change the mason stain? I have a ton of test tiles with some bright colors, but they seem to work best when dipped.  I've read about Vee Gum, does that help to thicken it? I would love any words of wisdom! :rolleyes: ---Thanks--Margie

I know you can buy lowfire stuff that comes in a plastic tube almost like puff paint. It's from Duncan. Some commercial glazes or underglazes( like Mayco Stroke and Coat )can be fired a little higher than the usual 05-06 without burning out too much color. So you could experiment with some of those on top of your cone 6  glazes.

Or you might use ceramic stains to color a slip made from your Clay Body then use a clear glaze on top. Or just use the stains (like Iron Oxide or Cobalt) mixed with just water painted over or under the glaze.

I think the  vee gum is an organic thickener that would burn out and still let the glaze run. Adding the slip from the clay your are throwing would be a a refractory to slow the flow of the glaze. I never took chemistry but think  this fits with what I've learned from John Britt's work.

Mayco "Stroke and Coat" (not all of them ^6 though) could be the good ones,  but do not attempt to use a different glaze under them. Mayco glaze will change their colors in contact with other glazes. If you want bright colors and good graphic, just use them only. The unique thing about these glazes is that you can overlie them, and the color would not change. You can mix them like acrylic pain to create another color, and you can dilute them with water to achieve the water-color affect. (When would Mayco finally start paying me for advertising them?)

Archived