Kiln arch design problem

Hi,

im building a phoenix fast fire kiln with an arched roof to the firebox/ floor. The arch design uses straights at either edge abutting to the skews, followed by three arch bricks (2 twos and one 3) on either side and a key stone in the middle. A fellow potter cast doubt on the use of the straight bricks in the arch and suggested they should rest on a lip so they don’t drop down.

Please if someone with more experience building arches could validate or revise my arch design I would greatly appreciate it!

pleAse see attached pictures.

many thanks,

luke

060DF9CE-E486-42C6-B084-20D1CC49F8C0.jpeg

5 hours ago, Lukebarlow29 said:

Another picture…

Just an add, the arch derives its strength from the buttress. It transfers the vertical force into a combination vertical and horizontal force at the buttress. If it can’t flatten, it won’t until the material fails in compression. Well fitted, tight joints ensure even transfer of force. A sufficient buttress is key to a long working life.  If the double wall does not have sufficient lateral strength then wrapping the kilns with angle generally ensures there is sufficient lateral strength.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Straights mixed with arch bricks are a customary part of arch design. That’s not a problem. Good luck with the kiln!

Looks like a tunnel, like a little Groundhog kiln. I’m probably misinterpreting the photos. But @Bill Kielb is spot on, there’s a lot of force pushing outwards at the base of the arch.  Buttress the sides with cinder block to counteract that force. That’s why groundhogs are built half underground, earth is the buttress. 

5 hours ago, Lukebarlow29 said:

im planning on wrapping her up in angle iron to provide good buttressing.

If you are not already planning, Just a suggestion …… add ties across the top as necessary parallel to your arches to positively retain both sides the arches are bearing upon.

6 hours ago, Lukebarlow29 said:

Thank you all for the help! 

im planning on wrapping her up in angle iron to provide good buttressing. I’ll send a picture of the finished kiln in a month or so!

Onwards and upwards!

L

Put the angle iron up before dropping the arch form.