"Chrome" glaze

Amaco Palladium will give that, however in order to do so it has to be so thick that it runs badly. Super not food safe, of course. When it works it's pretty amazing. When it doesn't it's kind of a polished green. I do not have a  recipe for a glaze like that, though. I think a luster may be a better way to go.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Neil for your input...I have used Palladium before, but it doesn't give a true polished chrome look.

The reason for asking the question is that my sister had a chrome plated pot and wanted to know if she could drill a hole in it for drainage. I gave her some suggestions about how to go about it depending on the base clay that was used to make the pot. I've since found that ceramics can be chrome plated but the plating would make the piece harder than the original fired clay. so I told her to fuhgeddaboudit...Here was the info source: Plating on Ceramics and Glass | Ceramics and Glass | SPC (sharrettsplating.com)

Edited by JohnnyK

I've had great success with Amaco Palladium Glaze on cone 6 slip cast porcelain.

The vase pictured has 5 coats. (Thinned a tad from bottle thickness.) Fired cone 6 fast. (3 hours)

Not quite a true mirror but a second firing, in a bisque or glaze firing, should change things up nicely.

AAAAAchromevase43.jpg