Is there an exhaustive list of all metal oxides that can be used in glazing?

Hi all, first post, new to the forum here!

So I've done a Google search, and also a search of this forum, for a list of 'molecular' metal oxides that can be used in glazes.

However, most sites say something along the lines of:

"These are some metal oxides that can be used in glazing e.g. cobalt carbonate, cobalt oxide, chrome oxide, red iron oxide, and copper carbonate"

I was hoping this forum could provide an exhaustive list of pure molecular compounds that could be ordered from a chemical supplier (like one that would supply a university chemistry lab).

I'm very new to exploring glazes, and would think to begin by just adding water to a powdered oxide and dab this wash onto a bisqued ceramic.

I'm sure I'm missing a variety of do's and don't I'm unaware of, but I'm here to learn - so looking forward to your feedback!
Thanks

Hi Kinosfronimos, Welcome to the Forum!

Good question.
I'd like to suggest looking into potential colorants, but only using materials that are safe (at least low risk) for the potter and the ceramic ware user.

Tony Hansen's page on "Common Ceramic Oxides" is exhaustive, when paired with "Uncommon Ceramic Oxides" (linked on the same page):
CaO (Calcium Oxide, Calcia) (digitalfire.com)

...that's all oxides; some are used as colorants.

See also:
Colorant (digitalfire.com)
Please see paragraph beginning "Metal oxides (e.g. iron oxide, cobalt oxide, chrome oxide) can be completely safe or have considerable toxicity." (emphasis added)

Mechanism (digitalfire.com)

Really bright and vibrant colors that are also safe (digitalfire.com)

Ceramic Stain (digitalfire.com)

Toxicity (digitalfire.com)

+1

Chemical suppliers often sell very pure chemicals. Better to start with  pottery suppliers who will supply pure-enough chemicals at significantly lower prices.

You might also want to look at "oxide washes".

Eye candy

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/tiffanie0360/iron-oxide-wash-ceramics/

Edited by PeterH

20 hours ago, kinosfronimos said:

So I've done a Google search, and also a search of this forum, for a list of 'molecular' metal oxides that can be used in glazes.

16 hours ago, kinosfronimos said:

(I may have access to a university lab, hence my question)

Best to avoid mentioning 'molecular' metal oxides when talking to  chemists, as metal oxides don't form molecules.

PS

Don't think that the details need worry you at the moment, but feel obliged to give a few refs.

Molecules are formed by covalently bonded atoms. Metal oxides form 'ionic crystals'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_crystal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_bond
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_bonding

Most glazes are glasses, and the structure becomes both more complex and more random.

GlassStructure.gif

Linda Bloomfield put out an abbreviated Periodic Table for potter's. 

Transition metals are in the center lilac block of the chart, in particular the top row, these are the colouring oxides. Like has already been said some of these oxides are also used in their carbonate form. The more dangerous oxides are safest to use when in a ceramic stain, cadmium and vanadium for example.

image.png.69369e5ef35bec303b11529967659adc.png

Edited by Min