lead glaze in Mexico

I'm a beginner and I had my 5th session at a local studio (I'm in Mexico). While doing some research online, I got to know that the glaze might contain lead and it actually is an issue even with some big brands out there. 

I can obviously ask my studio if they are using lead free glaze but I also don't want to offend them if no one in this world is actually using hazardous glaze anymore. 

Does anyone have any insights on this? I read in the US the amount of lead used in glaze is quite strictly restricted, but what about the other parts of the world?

Edited by yoony22

Mexico still has a big lead problem in ceramics. There are a few caveats to that statement. The first is I’m a gringo, I really don’t have boots on the ground there. The next is the problem is acutely evident in market wares that are mass produced in rural parts of Mexico. The third is Mexico, too, has stringent laws about lead in ceramics, but they don’t seem to have the same effect as in the USA.

I don’t believe it’s disrespectful to ask about it. People are absolutely using lead glazes in Mexico, but not everyone. It’s safe to assume everyone knows and people have opinions about it. It’s a well know public health issue there. It would be good to get your studio’s perspective. Your studio is probably the best place to start asking.

Lead hasn’t been an issue in studio pottery in the US for some 50 years, but people still ask me if there’s lead in my glazes. I’m not offended. Delighted to give them a lecture. 

Hi yoony22, Welcome to the Forum!

Good question.
This Tony Hansen article references a lead test kit: Is Mexican Terra-cotta pottery lead-glazed? Yes. Does it leach? Yes. (digitalfire.com)
...try "pottery lead test kit" as a browser (and/or A**zon) search string - lots of results!

What temperature(s) are they firing to?
My guess, low fire would be much more suspect than mid fire.

Are they mixing their glazes? If so, are the materials visible/available?

Is the glaze mixing area anywhere near the workspace?
Are the kilns nearby? Where do the kiln fumes go?

• yoony22 changed the title to lead glaze in Mexico