My kiln keeps blowing the electric when I turn it on !

Hi I teach ceramics so my kiln is used on average about twice a week, I maintain and clean it and do any reps but just lately when I put the kiln on the electric seems to go, it just cuts out at the fuse box. Ive packed it and put it on and as soon as it’s turned on it cuts out……so I’m wondering if it is the thermocouple? It has started to look slightly worn and a little discoloured at the end and considering how many firings I’ve done over the last few years this maybe the problem . I checked the heating elements and they all seem fine. I can replace the thermocouple as I’ve done this before but just wanted some advice from fellow pottery folks as I don’t know any near me ! 
thanks 

Jayne 

If your electric shuts off at the fuse box that indicates a short or over current condition. You will need to have someone troubleshoot and find the shorted connection. If your firings have been taking longer that would indicate your elements are wearing out. When elements wear out their resistance value increases and your kiln actually draws less current which means less power to fire. You may have both problems but the short circuit that is tripping your breaker is the one to find first and fix. From there have your electrician measure the resistance of your elements and if they have risen from new by about 10%, they are ready for replacement. A thermocouple would not cause this to short and trip the main breaker.

Edited by Bill Kielb

One possibility . .... It could be the breaker that is wearing out. Breakers over time become overly sensitive especially if theyre run close to the tripping point for a long time. An electrician could figure that out for you.

15 hours ago, Russ said:

One possibility . .... It could be the breaker that is wearing out. Breakers over time become overly sensitive especially if theyre run close to the tripping point for a long time. An electrician could figure that out for you.

If the breaker is blowing immediately upon starting the kiln then it's most likely a short, probably from a connection that has fried out or come loose, causing a wire to contact metal. Or possibly from a relay that fried hard. If the breaker is blowing after the kiln runs for a bit, then it's probably a worn breaker.