Moving Sculpture to Kiln

Hi,

I'm planning to make  a sculpture that is about 29 inches high and 15 inches wide, it will be wheel thrown so imagine a tall cylinder... it has a really delicate heavy texture on the exterior of the piece so I am wondering what I should build on so that when I move it to the kiln I wont need to actually grab it with my hands and risk messing the texture up. I will be firing in an skutt electric that I can disassemble. A few thoughts - I have heard of people firing on drywall, is this ok for the elements? What about just building on top of a kiln shelf? I plan on putting sand underneath what I build. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

Edited by tman123

13 minutes ago, tman123 said:

I have heard of people firing on drywall, is this ok for the elements? What about just building on top of a kiln shelf?

Don’t fire on drywall it will smolder and burn once calcined. Used to be type X 5/8” - approx. 60 minutes, 120 minutes to sustain a flame. I like the shelf idea and unless once firing, you can grog / silica the shelf after bisque. Many of our large format sculptors would build on a very straight shelf on top of a four wheeled cart.

Build it on a shelf. I think that’s a great idea. Taking rings off the Skutt is a solution to the next problem, you’re thinking it through (You really need a car kiln or front loader for this!). Wheeled carts are brilliant.

I struggle with this next bit, because I would rather do things on my own and screw them up (It’s a blessing and a curse) than have either help or an audience. This is a large piece. Having another pair of trusted eyes and hands is indispensable, enlist help for the critical move if you haven’t already considered it. 

Definitely build it right on a kiln shelf. I'd also put it on a waster slab. It's okay if the waster breaks, it'll still work. Keep the kiln shelf up on bricks or something that will allow you to get your fingers under the edge to pick it up without having to tip it.