Watercolor painting on greenware clay

I am part of a community pottery studio.  I watercolor painting on greenware clay with Amaco Velvet underglazes but find that some of the colors fade out (cone 6) .  It has been suggested to use either Amaco Watercolor underglazes (pads) or Amaco LUG underglazes.  Please send any thoughts or advice.  Thank you!

Hi Jeanne and welcome to the forum.

It might be the glaze that is causing some of the colours fading out. For example if it's the pinks and purple tones fading out it could be too much calcium in the covering glaze causing it to be inhospitable with the stains used in those colours. Could you give more info or post a picture of the colours that fade out and any glaze info you have.

Hey Jeanne,

I've had similar experiences. The Velvets are nice, because they don't cause the overglaze to dry out/pinhole, (as much) but they are thin. The LUG underglazes are nice, because they're more opaque, but they cause the overglaze to dry out sometimes.

An alternative is to use the LUG White Underglaze, as a base, and then add Mason stains for color. This way you can control the intensity of the color and still have great brush-ability. 

While SOME Velvets/LUG underglazes do well at cone 6 I presume most are really intended for cone 06. By using LUG as a base, and adding your own Mason stains, you're creating an underglaze that can tolerate cone 6 and beyond. (possibly?) 

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

I have found the Speedball underglazes are more stable at cone 6 than the Amaco Velvets, and I never have color shifting issues with clear glaze. They're usually cheaper, too. Just water them down as needed.

Speedball pinks, purples and reds (plus some other colours) use a cadmium inclusion stain so they don’t have the fading that underglazes  with chrome tin stains do.

1 hour ago, Min said:

Speedball pinks, purples and reds (plus some other colours) use a cadmium inclusion stain so they don’t have the fading that underglazes  with chrome tin stains do.

I've also found that many of their greens go brown with a clear glaze.

51 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I've also found that many of their greens go brown with a clear glaze.

I’ve got a list of the Speedball underglazes that contained cadmium somewhere, I don’t recall green being on it. Since there are cadmium inclusion green stains now using Jeff’s method might be an option if anyone needs a green but uses an incompatible glaze for an underglaze that includes chrome in the stain.