How Can I Get a Smooth Finish with underglaze

Hi! 

I'm working on large sculptural pottery and I'm looking to get an even coat of underglaze without brush marks. 

Is the only way to do this via spraying or are there other methods of getting rid of brush strokes during application?

Any tips and help would be appreciated. (I'm mostly using AMACO velvet underglazes). 

image.png.cf13ae9169135fdc5c3500591c8511df.png

Here is a piece from Tomoya Sakai that has the desired surface finish I'm looking to achieve. 

I used Mayco Fundamentals underglaze to achieve this look.   A hake brush is my go to brush,   do not put clear glaze over it.   Fire it to C 5,  if you are using a low fire clay you will need to find different underglaze.   Denice

I find it best to thin the underglaze to a heavy cream consistency. (or slightly thinner)

When I open most underglaze jars they have a pudding like consistency. Even though the mixture is incredibly smooth I find it goes on incredibly thick. (Hence brush marks.)

As well, I apply coats 5-10 minutes apart. (That way the surface is still slightly damp.) If I wait until the previous coat is completely dry I find it hard to prevent brush marks.