Replacing bearings in a Cowley wheel

Hi all. I am trying to replace the bearings on a Cowley double drive wheel. Problem is after removing the motor etc I cannot remove the larger wheel bit inside to access the bearings. 

Anyone got any ideas that won't damage it! 

Also I've never been able to remove the wheel head either. It's a very old machine. 

Many thanks 

Hi Alice,

Welcome to the Forum!
Please post an image of the wheel's nameplate (if any, particularly the model number), and images depicting the parts in question?

Is it this one?
cowley_wheel_manual.pdf (bathpotters.co.uk)

Glancing over that ^ manual...
...the bearings specified for the wheel shaft and pulley assembly, 6203 and 6201 (respectively) are fairly common.
My bikes definitely use the same bearings, also with the double seal, "2RS"
Typically the are press fit, which takes some careful doing.
  Removing the old ones, important that they come out straight, for if they take a slant, they bind up.
  Installing the new ones, also important that they go in straight, and, force applied to the outer race edge only.
  There are tools for pressing in/out bearings.
  Getting help from someone familiar and with the tools may a good choice?

Removing the wheel head, "To remove the wheelhead lift upwards..."
Likely it's stuck? Perhaps start with some Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster or somewhat similar...

Edited by Hulk
added

Thanks so much, yes that's the one. I'm not with the wheel right now but will send pics tomorrow. The problem is I can't access the bearings to get them out. As the large pulley (under the wheel head) is in the way. I assume this should pull off once the bolt is removed (which it is) . The instructions in the manual say remove the 'main spindle assembly' then replace the bearings. Perhaps this means I need to remove more than just the pulley.  No wheel maintenance people our way but I will hunt out a second pair or mechanical eyes on this one!! 

Looks like the motor would be in the way.
Agreed, the pulley appears to be fixed to the shaft by that bolt; perhaps it is stuck? Perhaps start on that with penetrating oil that dissolves rust/corrosion.