Firing in my house - need to vent?

Hello! I am new to firing at home and I have an old Duncan kiln in my basement. I have it in my laundry room on a stand and I have been leaving the window open and closing the door to the room when I fire but I can still smell it upstairs sometimes. I have been trying to read up on kiln venting and I'm wondering if this is something I 100% need to do? I'm only doing low fire up to cone 04, does this make a difference?

If your basement is a finished area with no studs or joists exposed, I would think that a window fan would be the best option, along with a door open to the basement so that you have air moving through the basement out the window. I am assuming that you are following the precautions needed for a kiln, including distance from walls and ceilings, proper wiring, and general safety. I you still have the odor issue you may want to look into a fan with duct for a hood that is over the kiln and ducts out the window.

best,

Pres

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the response. Yes I'm following all safety precautions. My husband was thinking we might try opening the radon mitigation system cap next time and having a fan blow towards that since it seems to really suck the air out of the room. 

Edited by missyjayne

The cone you fire to doesn't really make a difference, because things start burning out as low as 500F degrees and is pretty well complete by 1900F degrees. Bare minimum you want a fan in the window pulling air out, and sufficient makeup air. If you find that doesn't work, then I recommend getting a downdraft kiln vent.