Hi! I tried  posting this before but I don’t think it went through… 

I recently bought a kiln from someone who let it get rained on outside. I’m planning to rehab it, but before I do, I want to see if the panel works (it’s a skutt 1027). My question is— can I plug in just the panel to see if it turns on, without it being attached to the rest of the kiln, which is still drying out? 

TIA!

5 hours ago, petrichorandgold said:

Hi! I tried  posting this before but I don’t think it went through… 

I recently bought a kiln from someone who let it get rained on outside. I’m planning to rehab it, but before I do, I want to see if the panel works (it’s a skutt 1027). My question is— can I plug in just the panel to see if it turns on, without it being attached to the rest of the kiln, which is still drying out? 

TIA!

I'd remove the control panel and take off the insulating baffle and see if it's dry inside. If it's still damp, let it sit open for a day or two indoors so the electronics can dry out completely. You do not have to have the elements connected to the kiln to test the control box, and should not if the bricks are still wet. You will need to have the thermocouple connected if you want the controller to do anything besides read FAIL.