paperclay

I am just beginning to experiment with paper clay.  I have been frustrated with attempts to create sculpture of any larger than 6 inches or so with clay slabs (no paper).  I suspect I am probably not catching the slab at the perfect stiffness level, but my time constraints make that hard.  In reading about paper clay, it seems that it is stronger and more forgiving than straight clay, and I am wondering what others who have tried using it have found?  Have made a few small experimental pieces and they seem quite sturdy, even though much thinner than my 1/4 inch slabs.  I have read that paper clay is also able to be repaired and added to even after it is dry!!  That seems just short of miraculous???  Thanks for any advice!

I used paper clay for a couple of years. It lives up to all that hype! It’s much more forgiving about when you attach pieces, so if you’ve got time constraints, it’s a great material.

The 2 main things you want to watch are the stink from cellulose breakdown, and to be mindful that then end piece will be somewhat more friable than the same piece made out of regular clay would be. How much more friable will depend on how much pulp you add. 

The rot can be managed in a few ways, the easiest being to only mix up what you’ll use in a short time frame. The next easiest is to prepare a larger batch, and dry it out in really thin sheets that can be stored and rehydrated as needed. 

cool.  I wanted so much to know if it lived up to the hype.  have been building a fish all day, and because i needed to add feet (I always put feet on my fish), i have to let the body set up a while and add the feet, and then the fins--just did that, so we will see what it looks like in the morning.  here is the photo so far  so far just making what I can use up without letting it get stinky.

IMG_20240226_192145101_BURST000_COVER.jpg

it is still a bit thin in terms of the body.  i rolled up some newpaper to  space out the body, but there should have been more.  i fear it will be very tippy and that parts could break off easily if it tipped over.  and the front feet should go forward a bit.  but hey, it was fun, and i will keep making more.  it is nice to be able to work with slabs that are thinner than 1/4 inch!!