Underglaze after cone 5 firing

Hello! I would love your help! 
I made the mistake of inputting cone 5 instead of 05 during a bisque fire setting. This firing contained bare, bmix green ware. The plan was to apply intricate, opaque underglaze  artwork to bisqueware for this particular batch of work before I did a final firing. Now due to the accidental cone 5 firing and the reduced porous surface the underglaze is not applying fully and smoothly with each layer of application without bare spots appearing with each brush stroke. I use Amaco underglaze. How can I salvage this horrible mistake?  I’ve tried using Stroke & Coat hoping it can give me the opaque application I need but I’m running into the same issue of bare spots appearing inbetween each layer and is becoming a huge mess. Help!! Thank you! 

There may not be a practical fix. You can try drying each coat of underglaze before applying the next to build it up to opaque. If the underglaze has been dried between coats and simply is not adhering because it’s cone 5 then hairspray might be a winner as well. We have all made this mistake so don’t be too hard on yourself. As far as overglaze, same thing applies and spray application  probably gives you the best chance of not disturbing the intricate underglaze and still allowing for a decent buildup of glaze similar to dipping. To me this is hard to do successfully to expectation and if the hand decoration is intricate I think I would seriously remake these and bisque as normal rather than have to redecorate an intricate design a second time. If you try, I definitely would try a single test case before doing them all.

@Bill Kielb Thank you so much for your feedback and help! I’ll try and see if the hairspray method will work! I’ve made a decent size batch in this mistake firing and a little desperate to not let it go to waste if not for this project. Thank you again! I really appreciate your help. 

Hi JLR and welcome to the forum.

Going forward you might want to consider applying the underglaze on greenware instead of bisque. 

I understand you wanting to save this load but not only is it tricky underglazing vitrified clay you are also going to have problems glazing the pots as glaze doesn't like sticking to vitrified clay either. Sometimes we just have to move forward and start again. 

@Min thank you for your advice and welcome! I usually paint on greenware but decided to bisque to avoid any break as this project required some transporting on some days during the week. You are completely right! I’m sucking it up to start again. Thank you! Grateful for your feedback.