Used Paragon dragon 24 with damaged bricks

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/tim209394/Screenshot_20240112_195858_Messages.jpgHello my name is Tim and I want to buy a kiln for my dad. A used Paragon dragon 24 came up for sale, but he noticed some damage to the bricks. The person is asking $1800,  is it worth it?

I'm not great with computers, I hope the photos are accessible. Please let me know and thank you for your kind wisdom.

19 minutes ago, tim209 said:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/tim209394/Screenshot_20240112_195858_Messages.jpgHello my name is Tim and I want to buy a kiln for my dad. A used Paragon dragon 24 came up for sale, but he noticed some damage to the bricks. The person is asking $1800,  is it worth it?

I'm not great with computers, I hope the photos are accessible. Please let me know and thank you for your kind wisdom.

That's a weird place for  breaks, and a difficult spot to repair. You can't just mortar a piece of brick onto the surface in the break, it just won't hold. You would have to cut a recess into the brick and mortar the new piece into that recess, so the patch is supported in the wall. It's a real pain, especially with the breaks being in the corner, but you may be able to get in there with a chisel cut out the recess. It won't be easy, though. The other option, which is less ideal and more likely to fail, is to just use a bunch of element pins to support the elements across the breaks. There's a limit to how long they'll hold, though, and replacing them will just make more holes in the brick. It's really only a temporary fix. The price seems good, but you need to fix the broken spots at some point.

FYI, I don't know your experience level with kilns, but that kiln is not terribly easy to move. It's big and heavy (400+lbs) and requires a pallet jack to move it around. You can't easily get it into most studios. It may not even fit through the doorway. You also need to check what voltage and phase electrical service it's set up for, and if your dad's service can handle the amperage draw of that kiln. Looks like it probably needs a 90 amp breaker, which is a lot if this is a home studio. Tell us more about your dad's studio setup.

Thank you very much. The gentleman says it is 220 45 amps. He says it weighs approximately 900lbs. I was thinking of using an engine hoist and a Uhaul truck. We have 220 50 amp already, but might be able to go up to 60-90 if pressed to, it's at a residence. My dad is now leaning towards finding a used Cress instead. I love the pottery my dad did previously, but was trying to give him the best shot at it that I can afford.

Again thank you

The dragon24 I believe is a 16500 watt kiln which means a minimum circuit size of 86 amps or as Neil mentioned a 90 amp breaker and wiring. Your dad’s service may only be 100 amps so this is likely too large for his studio. I would ask for a picture of the equipment tag to confirm how this kiln is configured and that it is single phase for sure. The numbers given seem to be erroneous. 

@tim209   220 doesn't really exist in the US anymore. Service voltage will be either 208 or 240. Residential voltage is 240V single phase. The kiln must be set up to run on the same voltage and phase. Typically you have to change the kiln elements to accommodate the different voltage. Also, kilns must be installed on a breaker that is 25% greater than the draw of the kiln, but no more than 50% greater. So a 24 amp kiln needs a 30 amp breaker, a 48 amp kiln needs a 60 amp breaker, etc. If your 50 amp circuit has the 6ga wire that it's supposed to have, then you can swap that breaker for a 60 if needed.

It sounds like a good polygonal (round) top loading kiln will work just fine for your needs. Don't limit yourself to a Cress, as there are other brands that will work just as well, and probably be easier to maintain. Skutt, L&L, Evenheat, Paragon, etc will all work just as well. Something in the 5-7 cubic foot range would be good.