Kiln struggling to reach top temp

Skip

I have a 2001 L&L e23-t kiln that fired well (250 firings or so since I bought the kiln a few years ago) until the last four firings. The last few firings it has taken an extra hour to go up the last 150 degrees. I thought it was the elements so I changed those even though they only had 60 firings. The new elements did not fix the problem. I changed the thermocouples and the relays and that also did not fix the problem. The lid has always bowed at top temp, and it looks like it could be a slight bit more than normal, but it’s hard to tell. I know I can’t put anything on top of the kiln lid, but should I attempt to adjust the hinge point assembly or could it be the 20 year old wiring going bad in the control housing? The kiln bisques perfectly, but reaching cone 6 is taking too long which negatively affects the glaze look on the finished pieces

Edited by Skip

It sits completely flat where the lift handle is, and a foot to the right or left I can slide a piece of paper in but only one or two pieces. Three won’t fit. I’m thinking that maybe something changed with the hinge  when I opened the kiln to load or unload. 

It's possible that there is a bad connection or other problem on one of the elements that did not get fixed in the element replacement. Did you do the paper test to see if all elements are actually firing?

It's probably not the problem, but it's worth checking the electrical supply. Is the plug corroded? Can you check the voltage while it is firing? 

Chances are the body bands have loosened and the hinge has dropped a little bit as a result. You'll need to reset the hinge. Remove the tension on the lid spring, loosen the screws holding the hinge plate, then adjust the body bands if they have sagged and tighten them all up. Then push up the hinge so it's in the correct position with the main hinge rod sitting in the bottom of its holes and tighten the hinge screws. Then set the spring.

I would also add a latch to the front of the lid to help keep it shut 

39 minutes ago, Skip said:

Does this look right or does it need to be adjusted? This is where the pin sits with the kiln lid closed.

IMG_2023-12-21-095350.jpeg

Yes, the hinge rod is in the correct position in the bottom of the oval hole. But if the body bands have slid down, then it will put extra pressure on the back edge of the kiln, and cause the lid to lift at the front.