Shino without Gerstley Borate? (cone 6)

davidh4976

I've been working on reformulating our communal pottery glazes so they don't use Gerstley Borate.  I've been making decent progress but am getting stumped  on reformulating our Falls Creek Shino. The iterations I've tried do not get the nice breaking between cream and brown that we get with our original formula. It probably doesn't help that I'm also trying to eliminate Alberta Slip from the recipe.  Anyone have a good cone 6 "shino" without Gerstley Borate or Alberta Slip that they would care to share?

Our current Falls Creek Shino:

alberta slip     56.1
gerstley borate     18.7
silica     9.4
minspar 200     9.4
lithium carbonate     6.5
zircopax     9.4
tin oxide     4.7    

Falls Creek "Shino" and others that mimic that look are usually dangerously high in lithia. Ideally the maximum amout of lithia at the very top end shouldn't exceed 0.20 molar. Whichever iterations of that glaze you land up using I would really suggest lowering the lithia content if it's above that, whether it's supplied by spodumene, petalite or lithium carbonate. In your posted reciped dropping the lithium carb from 6.5 down to 4.5 and then really testing for shivering (expecially on low expansion bodies) would be a good idea. Before Alberta Slip became popular these type of glazes usually employed Redart (or a similar earthenware clay) to supply the iron, don't know if you have tried a sub with that? (and rebalanced) 

What are the recipes you have tried that haven't worked out? Need a hand with reformulating the recipe you have?