Flat cable of the Skutt Kiln front panel is worn out

David A.

Thanks Neil, the kiln and panel are 12 years old :) but the panel seems to be ok, it is just the connector or the flat cable that cause the problem. I think the contacts on the flat cable are worn out and wander if I could cut 1/8 of an inch off the flat cable and expose the contacts to have new connection. 

3 hours ago, David A. said:

I could cut 1/8 of an inch off the flat cable and expose the contacts to have new connection. 

Something that might help - 
The bare end of The flat cable usually has plated ends so cutting is often not a solution. If it’s a ribbon to pin adapter found in many pc’s then carefully cutting and reinstalling the ribbon is a thing. The real reason for posting here is most ribbon cable connectors have a way to lock them in place such as a tab to lift or surrounded by a ring which gets depressed or lifted to lock the cable and contacts firmly in place.  Sometimes folks just insert and leave it at that without locking in place which usually leeds to inconsistent connection.. Just mentioning in case there is a way to lock this in place after cleaning the cable end and the connector contacts with decent contact cleaner.

I have on limited occasion very gently burnished these with 1000 grit sandpaper (old corroded equipment) both socket and end and then cleaned any residue with contact cleaner with success. NO STATIC DISCHARGE ALLOWED when doing this! Usually just easier to buy a new cable.

Edited by Bill Kielb

I've never seen a ribbon cable have this problem without being able to clean it and plug it back in. The question is whether it's the actual ribbon or if it's the connectors on either end, or if it's the board itself. I would contact the manufacturer of the controller, Bartlett Instruments, and see what they say. I don't think they have capped end so that may very well be an option. There is no locking tab or anything like that, you just push it in.