Why is there a hump in my plastic bat(s)???

Pyewackette

Nearly all of the bats at the studio where I work are Speedball plastic bats.  I hate um.  It is nigh unto impossible to get work off them and a whole lot of ours are either warped and/or they have a weird hump I can feel every time the wheel goes 'round.

I think I finally figured out where those humps come from.  Somebody used a heat gun on those bats and left it in one spot too long.  Warpage was probably caused by using a heat gun while its turning.

Have I solved the mystery of the humps do ya think?

7 hours ago, Pyewackette said:

I think I finally figured out where those humps come from.  Somebody used a heat gun on those bats and left it in one spot too long.  Warpage was probably caused by using a heat gun while its turning.

That type of bat is notorious for not sitting flat, at least the round ones. Back when they were made by CI 30 years ago they did the same thing.

Yeah they do that too.  But this is an actual hump in the bats, like a little hill.  I can put my hand down on the bat and feel it go by as it turns.  The warped ones feel and behave differently, like (and I'm showing my age here) an old record that's warped.  Warpage throws your whole piece off.  But sometimes it is (barely) possible to throw something on a lumpy bat without a whole lot of distortion, if the lump is closer to the edge than the middle.

There must be at least a half dozen of these lumpy bats, aside from the warped ones.

But who knows.  I could be wrong.  Hate-ums speedballs regardless LOL!  I watched somebody on youtube sorting through their speedball bats exclaiming their love for them all the while looking for one that wasn't warped LOL!