Cress C-11-H, Manual? Age? Parts?

Edie S.

I recently got a older Cress C-11-H and I don't know anything about it.

I was informed that it did not get up to temperature, but that is all I know. It did not come with a manual. I tried watching some videos on how all the parts are supposed to look and I think my kiln sitter needs to be replaced, since the kiln piece that holds it is worn through. 

I can't seem to find any of the parts that I need. Is this kiln to old to find replacement parts? I don't know how to tell the age.

I don't know that the kiln sitter would cause it too not reach temperature. Does anyone know how I can fix that? Do I need to get new elements?

Thanks,

Edie

Edited by Edie S.

From https://www.cressmfg.com/resources/
... the best I could find is
Basic Kiln Manual, for A,B,C Kilns (366kb)
Kiln diagram C11HT

Can you post a picture of your kiln sitter, or tell us what make& model it is?
For example, two popular kiln sitters are described in
KilnSitter Operating Manual - Models P and K

Lots of hits if you google Dawson kiln sitter parts
... purely as an example (as it has a nice picture)

https://www.cromartiehobbycraft.co.uk/Catalogue/Ceramic-Kilns-Electric-Kilns-Pottery-Kilns/Kiln-Spares-Kiln-Elements/Dawson-Kiln-Sitter-Spares
... while Skutt has a more comprehensive list of KilnSitter® parts
https://skutt.com/images/KilnSitter-Parts-List.pdf

† And this is a trademark
image.png.bc95b4a014bc52bf6d27b084eea53177.png

Edited by PeterH

2 hours ago, Edie S. said:

https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/9KHv9uZ5aSco

Here are a couple pictures of the kiln sitter.

Am I required to download the file in order to view them? All I see is the Samsung logo, and no offense, but I'm not going to download anything. Better to load the photos directly onto the forum.

@Edie S. That little chip on the Sitter tube won't affect anything. The rod is still in great shape, so I'd say the kiln hasn't been fired much. Can you post a pic of the control box on the kiln so we can see what sort of switches it has? Most manual kilns work the same way, but Cress has had some unique setups over the years. Also post a pic of the serial plate on the kiln. The plate on the Sitter is just for it, not the kiln. 

It's super old, but that doesn't mean it won't work. It's all about how much it's been used, not how long it sat around. I recently had a kiln in my shop that was 40+ years old but had never been fired.

Anyway, because your kiln is only rated for cone 6, it will only get to cone 6 if the elements are in perfect condition. That means you'll only get about 35 firings before the elements need to be replaced. By contrast, a cone 10 kiln will get 130+ firings before they need to be changed. Your kiln is great for low fire work, but not so great for cone 5/6 work. Do the elements all get hot? If you're not sure, put a small piece of paper on each element and start the kiln. Let it run for a couple of minutes and see if the papers all burn/smolder. If not, then there's a problem with that element. Could be the element, could be the wiring, could be the switch. If they all work but the kiln won't get to temp, then the elements probably need replacing. You'll have to contact Cress and see if they still make elements for your kiln. If you decide to use it, you'll need a 20 amp circuit to power it.