A82B3 issue

Brad71

I've had this kiln for a few years , never used it till now.  Decided to use it, giving my other kilns a break, lol, fired 2 loads through it great , worked on low,med, high and now it won't operate but on high, leaving 2 element none working. The light wouldn't even come on when turned to low or med. I took the sitter apart and cleaned the contacts. The lights come on now but elements will not heat up. Checked them, they are good. What's the chances both switches went out, kinda stumped here due to it not having relays ?

I had read the thread by Greenman from 2019 and check the sitter, cleaning the contacts caused the light to start back working on low and med, but no heat from elements at all until turned on high. I'm gonna pull the switch panel again today and see if something is loose, I moved the kiln over 6 inches and that's when it decided to act up and not function on low, med. 

It’s really important to have  a connected neutral, else these kilns will not operate correctly. Maybe first confirm that you have 2 - 120v circuits line to neutral and 240v line to line. Always check you have a ground for safety while you are at it.  Anything that when moved six inches no longer works likely needs a thorough inspection of all connections, contacts, etc….  Jus a reminder: Careful, use appropriate safety around energized equipment. Your diagram I believe is here https://eadn-wc04-7751283.nxedge.io/wp-content/uploads/A82WD.pdf

19 hours ago, Brad71 said:

now it won't operate but on high, leaving 2 element none working.

Not quite certain what you mean here.

The 4-way switch diagram suggests this behaviour:

Top-Switch=OFF - no top elements lit
Top-Switch=LOW - both top elements lit (at 1/4 power)
Top-Switch=MED  - one of top elements lit
Top-Switch=HIGH - both top elements lit

Bottom-Switch=OFF - no bottom elements lit
Bottom-Switch=LOW - both bottom elements lit (at 1/4 power)
Bottom-Switch=MED  - one of bottom elements lit
Bottom-Switch=HIGH - both bottom elements lit

What do you get?

BTW If you have lost your neutral connection I suspect that both elements will be off for OFF/LOW/MED & both elements on for HIGH.

Edited by PeterH

Yes sir, I have the 2- 120v circuits line to neutral and the 240v line to line. It worked fine on 2 firings and quit working on low and med (no lights either setting, only on high). I cleaned the sitter contacts and the light come on for all settings only producing heat on high. I'm gonna pull the switch panel off again and re check everything on that side.