Kiln and lid rust on interior rim

LIT

Hello,

Our school kilns are rusting terribly around the rim and the lid. The kiln room is in a cinderblock non air controlled room, AND we live in Florida. I’ve had these kilns for about 7 years having replaced the ones prior. Never had this rust problem with those even though they were the same model, just much older (Amaco HF150).

It’s getting to the point where the rust is flaking off into the kiln and ruining pottery despite my best efforts to vacuum prior. Is there anything I can do to seal the areas? This is happening around the lid, too (lid not pictured but looks the same) and the flakes come off as I’m closing the lid.

Thanks!

IMG_2144.jpeg.221ec8e2d87d4e1859d498bc237b09c7.jpeg.

That kiln is going to rust no matter what you do or where you live. If not from the moisture in the environment, then from the moisture coming out of the clay. I've never seen an HF105 that wasn't rusted. They didn't use stainless steel, so it's gonna rust. The best you can do is periodically brush it down with a wire brush and vacuum it off really good.