Replace lid or buy new kiln

Vonzini

I bought a used Skutt 231-18 cone 6 kiln in MN, before I knew I’d love to TX.  The kiln got damaged in the move.  I’m trying to decide if replacing the (utterly destroyed) lid is worth it.

The kiln walls are generally ok though a bit of crushing at the top when the lid was broken.  The floor has some cracks and I’m not certain if the kiln will get to temperature as a result.  I checked the elements, and they all heat up, though again not sure if it will get to temperature.

anyone have experience with this? The lid will cost 300-400 I think, plus shipping. A new kiln would obviously be much more.  

6 hours ago, Vonzini said:

I bought a used Skutt 231-18 cone 6 kiln in MN, before I knew I’d love to TX.  The kiln got damaged in the move.  I’m trying to decide if replacing the (utterly destroyed) lid is worth it.

The kiln walls are generally ok though a bit of crushing at the top when the lid was broken.  The floor has some cracks and I’m not certain if the kiln will get to temperature as a result.  I checked the elements, and they all heat up, though again not sure if it will get to temperature.

anyone have experience with this? The lid will cost 300-400 I think, plus shipping. A new kiln would obviously be much more.  

If you poat pics, the folk here will be able to give a better assessment of way to go

A new lid fro Skutt is $325. Add another $175-$250 for freight delivery. That's a pretty big cost for a really old kiln. However if the rest of the kiln is in good condition then it might be worth it. Another option is to find a cheap used kiln of the same size that has a decent lid or floor slab that you could use.