Non chrome based green stain in a zinc base

mr_glazy_man

Hi,

A number of posts back I was talking about a beautiful 04 fluid melt glaze I created with FZ16 and 3110.

Doing a line blend between Iron Oxide and Copper Carb in this base yields a lovely green, but I feel like it needs more punch. Increasing the amount of oxide colourant just causes more bubbles and glaze defects due to the amount of off gassing (I’m at 5% Copper already!)

So, I’m thinking about cutting it with some green stain to reduce the LOI, increase the green saturation but still get that oxide depth we all know and love. Alas, I’m sure most of you now know where this is going - most green stains are chrome based, and chrome+zinc is…. well, brown ain’t green.

Can anyone recommend a non-chrome based green stain? Another tact might be Green Iron Oxide, which though is not stain based, may dial up the saturation of green but I really haven’t found much info in this at all online.

What do you all think?

If the problem is the copper carbonate out-gassing have you tried black copper oxide?

Found a cone 6 switch, and the colour seems to be unchanged.
Switching copper carbonate for copper oxide in a fluid glaze
... in Copper Oxide Black https://digitalfire.com/material/copper+oxide+black
hitpadubod-400W.jpg

Surprisingly, the bubbling also seemed unchanged. For this base glaze and firing schedule Tony Hansen concluded:
The copper oxide recipe is not bubbling any less even though copper oxide does not gas. The bubbles must be coming from the kaolin.

Edited by PeterH