Kiln recommendation - England

Vix

Hi everyone.

I am about to purchase my first kiln and can’t decide between the Nabertherm 45 and the Kiln Care Ikon 46. 

Any advice? I would be grateful! 

Edited by Min
clarity - title edit

• Min changed the title to Kiln recommendation - England
On 7/10/2023 at 8:03 AM, Vix said:

Hi everyone.

I am about to purchase my first kiln and can’t decide between the Nabertherm 45 and the Kiln Care Ikon 46. 

Any advice? I would be grateful! 

I've only worked with a couple of Nabertherm, and never a Kiln Care, so all I can say is take a look at what it takes to maintain the kiln, both ease of maintenance and costs. Some companies charge a lot for elements. My very limited experience with Nabertherm is that replacement elements can be quite pricey. Also look at the features of the controller and make sure it does what you want it to do. There are still a number of controllers being used on kilns in Europe that have fairly limited functionality.

I fire two different kilns, can't comment on the 2 you've quoted.

However Neil makes a good point about controllers.  Go for the best you can afford. Lots (10) of programmes, lots of ramps (min 6) per programme.  You might think you don't need that many today, but.......

Also, look at a kiln that says it will fire to at least 3 cones hotter than you need .  Assuming they are electric?

• 1 month later...